Trumpeter 1/32 P-40F Soon to be Released??

Bill M.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

You have to wonder why they did it for that particular kit, and haven’t done the same thing since, because there have been plenty of bad kits put out since then, and not just picking on one particular manufacturer here.

Because ‘bad kits’ sell... 

Yep. The issue is of course is if more people are happy buying ‘crappy kits’  than there are people demanding better kits then the market will deliver the product that is the minimum standard and is still consumed.. Not all manufacturers but a noteable number.

Why folk don’t care about accuracy as much as other people might yield some useful insights if you want to effect change.

I don’t know but I suspect the distributor didn’t understand at the time what the market was willing to accept.  Or the market conditions have fundamentally altered since that decision.

If the market doesnt buy kits with accuracy issues then any kit with problems simply would not sell. 

That the distributor is not now refusing to sell or distribute kits with issues tells you that either they don’t care or sales happen regardless of the issues so it’s not a driver for them.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dave Williams said:

The question was more about, why did they bother to do it for the Wildcat kit in the first place then?

Back then aircraft was THE major product market for Trumpeter.

Now its armor and ships but primarily armor.

Wildcatgate with its completely porked fuselage etc caused a huge uproar after Bretts review and if they did not retool it would of set them back a huge amount. There was also quite a build up to its release leading to even more disapointment.

Over time though the volume of criticism rose over ever smaller errors/overly detailed kits which ended up with Trumpeter now focusing 90% of its releases onto the armor market an untapped area particularly modern Russian and German big scale.

If you dont care about a overly curved nose good for you.

Dont like a P-40F with a slightly over curved upper nose easy dont buy it, or buy and and correct it.

Having built 3 Hasegawa P-40s 2 as Fs and 1N my view is. It looks like the Nose cap is too pointed and not sure I like the way the exhausts are to be installed. However I like the way the Trumpeter wheel wells are done and it looks like the flaps would really be neat if they could be assembled easily without a great deal of cussing. Just my observations, I have a F GM nose piece maybe taking a look if the top engine cover could be fitted to the Trumpeter

Mike Horina

• 3 weeks later...

I picked one up at the local hobby shop after looking in the box, and felt "it doesn't look that bad. . ." After getting it home and doing a little research/comparing to the excellent Hasegawa offering, I came up with a few solutions for it:

First, I'm going to shoehorn an Avionix resin cockpit for the P-40E into it, which should look the part and upon initial inspections will fit just fine after doing a little sanding on the rear armor plate/cockpit wall (the quarter window profile on the two kits are different). Also, as confirmed and well-known, the cockpit is far too shallow, but not nearly as bad as the P-40B/C kit. The Avionix cockpit will obviously correct this issue, as well as addressing the flat cockpit floor in the kit (replacing it with the correct angled floor where the two wings junction in the center of the cockpit). The Trumpeter instrument panel is much larger (in width, height, and detail proportion) than the Avionix, so hopefully the Trumpeter fuselage isn't too wide for the resin cockpit to fit correctly.

I can confirm the spinner is much more angular and pointy compared to the Hasegawa piece, but nothing a little careful sanding won't fix. If necessary, I could always make a resin copy of the Hasegawa spinner and mate it to the Trumpeter kit, but at this time I cannot confirm the noses have the same cross-section at the spinner plate. I'll get back to everybody on that one.

Also, I wish Trumpeter would get over the vinyl/rubber tire fad, as they just don't look right. I'll be adding Brassin wheels to mine, which look like they'll slide onto the kit struts with no modifications. The Brassin wheels really are a treat, it's just a shame to cover up those gorgeous hubs with the photo-etch wheel covers!

Hopefully I can do a WIP thread on this to show it's very possible, and with any luck I'll end up with a very passable (and cheaper) P-40F. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm still holding onto my Grey Matters conversion to do the long-tail P-40L. Both will be done in North Africa markings, with the Trumpeter kit possibly (maybe) getting French livery.

4 hours ago, Avenger2614 said:

Also, I wish Trumpeter would get over the vinyl/rubber tire fad, as they just don't look right. I'll be adding Brassin wheels to mine, which look like they'll slide onto the kit struts with no modifications. The Brassin wheels really are a treat, it's just a shame to cover up those gorgeous hubs with the photo-etch wheel covers!

+10 , amen to that brother 

jimbo