Trumpeter 1/32 P-40F Soon to be Released??

Bill M.

Too bad that Hasegawa doesn't seem to be interested into doing one... !

And I also received an email from Eduard (I had suggested markings options for their P-40E/K reboxing project): 

<<Thanks for your email.

There are no good news regarding the P-40K. From the release of our versions of the P-47 & P-40N, we learnt that modelers are not so much interested into 1/32 kits.

So, we do not plan to release the P-40K/E boxing. Too bad, as it's my favourite version of the Warhawk.

I just bought the new 1/72 kit from Special Hobby and will do Nollmeyer's plane.>>

Well, to me Eduard is not approaching the 1/32 market in the correct way. Large scale market is not just a copycat of the 1/48th or 1/72th ones!

The main problem linked to large scale is first the price and second the space. I know many modellers who purchased 1/32 kits of WW2 planes when they are cheap as they are not really larger than many other 1/48th topics. By the way, from an offer perspective, this is the business approach chosen by Revell.

If you want to release "high end" 1/32 boxes, you are focusing on the large scale modellers hard core and this is quite different. You must be prepared to sell far less boxes, more particularly when this is a re-edition of an already released topic.

Very frankly, I am puzzled as they did not consider the large scale market profitable enough with their own kits (they stopped after the Me 109E) and they are now reaching the same conclusion with reboxed kits!

However, there are enough companies in Eastern Europe that demonstrate it is possible to have a profitable production of 1/32 kits. Just look at the Special Hobby family of Tempests!

So, it looks like something is wrong in their business model.

5 hours ago, GeeBee said:

And I also received an email from Eduard (I had suggested markings options for their P-40E/K reboxing project): 

<<Thanks for your email.

There are no good news regarding the P-40K. From the release of our versions of the P-47 & P-40N, we learnt that modelers are not so much interested into 1/32 kits.

So, we do not plan to release the P-40K/E boxing. Too bad, as it's my favourite version of the Warhawk.

I just bought the new 1/72 kit from Special Hobby and will do Nollmeyer's plane.>>

I agree that Eduard is approaching this the wrong way. The P-40N was a good example of almost got it right. 

The good...

1. A full P-40 E/M/N box of sprues including early and late parts.

2. Good decal sheet 

3. Resin parts and a PE sheet.

This is where they went wrong..

1. serious modelers don’t care about metal signs and posters

2. Minimal resin, only wheels and exhaust?

3. Not diverse enough of a sheet, they could have included a few Russian, British, Australian, etc.

4. Poor value, $140 for plastic sprues, a sheet of PE, and a few resin bits? 

They could have have been more successful if this package was $99 and left out the art, and put in a few more diverse decal options. This is all my perspective. As a customer, I have bought two N’s from them with no artwork, and built the kits, they are not stash queens to me. If they gave us a K under $100, I would buy it. The going rate for an out of production K is about $75 (yes I have bought a few at that price or less). I have not bought their version of the P-47, because at its cheapest, it’s $120. And I have bought the rare versions from Hasegawa for around $60, so adding a few resin bits and PE I can make my own combo for under $99 again.

Edited by 1to1scale

Too bad about an Eduard P-40K. I agree with your points about the Eduard P-47 and P-40N kits, especially about the need for the poster and metal sign. But were the kits really a flop? They were a one-time limited run. Aren’t they sold out? Maybe not as fast as they might have liked, but I was under the impression they are pretty much gone from the market.

Bill M.

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

<<Thanks for your email.

Correction, modelers are not interested in paying $140 for a kit that retails for about $35 in Japan with a few resin bits and gimmicks added in.  I've got the Hasegawa P-40N and the Fundekals decals and a few other add-ons., about $60 total. 

1 hour ago, Mikester said:

Correction, modelers are not interested in paying $140 for a kit that retails for about $35 in Japan with a few resin bits and gimmicks added in.  I've got the Hasegawa P-40N and the Fundekals decals and a few other add-ons., about $60 total. 

That's true, if you just want the E version, I know of 2 places in the US i can get one for less than $40. If you want the other versions, you will have to hunt, but I just bought a set of Eduard oversprues for the N for less than $50. But that's sort of the problem, MOST modelers are not interested in signs, coasters, beer glasses, etc. 

Great topic.  A good civil discussion going on here.  

Regarding the P-40N offering.  Price certainly does matter.   I think I pulled in the initial P-40N from Hasegawa when it was released.   I also picked up the Eduard offering at one of those end of the year mega sell offs from one of the main stream mailorder shops.  I also picked up one of the over stock tree kits from someone that sold off on the forsale forum.   

Why in the hell do I need three P-40N’s in the first place?   I’m sort of embarrassed to say I even bought a P-40M that was on the for sale forum just to have a fleet of them.   Will I get the Merlin P-40F?   Likely not,  unless someone goes through the trouble and purchases a GM nose and an aftermarket cockpit for it.  And the price needs to be right!  Here’s to “that guy “ that does this it in the near future.  

1 hour ago, Bill M. said:

Too bad about an Eduard P-40K. I agree with your points about the Eduard P-47 and P-40N kits, especially about the need for the poster and metal sign. But were the kits really a flop? They were a one-time limited run. Aren’t they sold out? Maybe not as fast as they might have liked, but I was under the impression they are pretty much gone from the market.

Bill M.

Not sure. I still saw one discounted box of each one on last Sunday!

I am one of those crazy people who build out of their stash. Of the 11 P-40's currently in my stash, 7 are being built and I will ultimately build another Trumpeter "B" and the "F" when it comes out, I will probably sell off or trade the two M's later. 

Hi All

about the front cowl profile, i remember this:

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Technical/F L cowl.jpg

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Technical/Nose/F-L_Front_side_top.gif

and an interested build from John B. : Hasegawa+Derek - GMF conversion:

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Builds/JohnBardwell/P-40F/P-40F.htm

from the website:

http://www.p40warhawk.com/index.htm

Edited by rafju
added John B. link