Trumpeter 1/32 P-40F Soon to be Released??

Bill M.

When I see that kit with shortcuts and stupid errors jumping from another kit that is more than ten years old, I cannot stop wondering if that kit is really new... It is new from a release perspective but as the P-40 family was announced many years ago, I would not be surprised to discover the CAD was made years ago. Weird! Even if I'm not really fond of the Hasegawa kit, I think I will rather rely on the Hasegawa/Greymatter/Zotz combination. Assembly will not be easy but at least correction surgery will not be required. It is a pity as the Trumpy kit looks to have some positive assets; one example being the seat that looks far better than the Hasegawa one. 

On 12/6/2018 at 5:21 AM, rafju said:

Can't wait, I'm ready ;-)

4w476g.jpg

Compare the line of the upper cowl in this image to that of the kit parts and the Trumpeter colour profiles. Notice how the line is essentially straight past the forward-most exhaust and only curves slightly between that point and the spinner backplate. Then look at what Trumpeter did. They could easily have got this right but they just don't care!

Short-tail 'F'

p40warhawk-WRG-0021382.jpg

Long-tail 'L'

p40warhawk-WRG-0021435.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine

On 12/7/2018 at 12:34 PM, Out2gtcha said:

The perspective just looks really off.

I've seen worse , you're right tho , it is more about perspective.

Looks like a direct copy of this photo (posted earlier by Kevin).

Even the prop blur is identical. They just put it way too close to

the ground. Probably another team effort at Trumpeter.

iT5uxj0.jpg

I think it's safe to say that some people have an axe to grind with Trumpeter.  Some companies seem to get much more slack when it comes to errors.  Revell's Bf 109G-6 cannot be built into an accurate kit without a replacement upper cowl deck and Beule.  BTW they did hire a team of experts to consult on it and it still wasn't perfect OOB (the bean counters won).  There are other kits they've in done that have issues but they seem to get a pass because they're less expensive than other brands.  I typically only buy kits on sale anyway so price doesn't really factor in for me and Revell aren't cheap everywhere either.  Then again some are exceptional kits that very accurate, just like Trumpeter.

I'll continue to judge each kit on it's own merits rather than condemning it out of hand, regardless of who makes it.  I'll most likely get this kit, a little work with a sanding stick should help flatten out the upper cowl and it may require a little aftermarket to get up to speed but that's true of most kits in my stash.

I don’t see that people specifically have an axe to grind with Trumpeter.  They make some good kits, and even their “A Team” kits aren’t perfect, but usually not much is said about them.  However, many times when Trumpeter does screw up, it’s fairly big and obvious, and it’s usually those specific “B Team” kits that get most of the grief.  I see the criticisms being more kit specific than company specific.

In this instance, I think that the P-40F cowl shape and too shallow cockpit (repeat offense) are probably more egregious issues than the issues with the RoG 109.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I don’t see that people specifically have an axe to grind with Trumpeter.  They make some good kits, and even their “A Team” kits aren’t perfect, but usually not much is said about them.  However, many times when Trumpeter does screw up, it’s fairly big and obvious, and it’s usually those specific “B Team” kits that get most of the grief.  I see the criticisms being more kit specific than company specific.

In this instance, I think that the P-40F cowl shape and too shallow cockpit (repeat offense) are probably more egregious issues than the issues with the RoG 109.

OK, if you want something more egregious we can move over to the Revell Erla 109G-10.  The cowl is off to the point that it pretty much requires a whole resin replacement if you want it to look right.  I agree that there's really no excuse for the shallow cockpits though, should have been corrected. 

6 hours ago, Mikester said:

I'll most likely get this kit, a little work with a sanding stick should help flatten out the upper cowl

It's going to take more than a sanding stick to fix the cowl on this kit. The excessive curvature means the centerline of the prop is too low. If you move it up you'll have to add height to the radiator intake. In short, it will take major surgery to correct.

Indeed, forget the idea to sand to correct the nose. You would need at least a 2 to 3 mm thick plastic nose just to flatten the line and this would not solve fully the  geometry issue. 

I did not see anybody in this thread who bashed the kit because it is a Trumpeter product as such. Negative points were based on the sprues we saw. Nothing more. 

However, it is fully true to say that, as a plane model scale company, Trumpeter may be very frustrating for one reason: they do not have a coherent learning curve. For instance, I do not remember one review of the P-40B that did not stress the too shallow cockpit for the last 15(?) years. This did not prevent them to repeat the same error. Observing that is not Trumpeter bashing. Alas, this is just a fact...