WWI landing gear bungee: What should I use?

Gazzas

Looking at my Roden Albatros, it looks like there's nothing to play the part of the bungee cords that keep that simplified landing gear system together.

What does everyone use? 

And another question:  What color were they?

Fabric covered?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gaz

Looking at my Roden Albatros, it looks like there's nothing to play the part of the bungee cords that keep that simplified landing gear system together.

Are you sure? There seems to be something binding the axle down at the bottom of the landing gear. The cord wraps over the axle, under the strut, back over the axle, under the strut and around again (and again, etc.)

Richard

Are you sure? There seems to be something binding the axle down at the bottom of the landing gear. The cord wraps over the axle, under the strut, back over the axle, under the strut and around again (and again, etc.)

Richard

Richard,

There is a retaining loop that keeps the gear from popping out of place if the bungee fails that is part of the molding of the strut.  But there is nothing in the instructions or on the sprues that plays the part of the bungee. 

I have some copper wire, and some other things to try...  I think I even have some fine solder I could use.

Cheers!

Gaz

Richard,

There is a retaining loop that keeps the gear from popping out of place if the bungee fails that is part of the molding of the strut.  But there is nothing in the instructions or on the sprues that plays the part of the bungee. 

I have some copper wire, and some other things to try...  I think I even have some fine solder I could use.

Cheers!

Gaz

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the legs? I'd absolutely astonished if WNW missed the bungees off. Sometimes the bungees were sewn into a bag to protect them from grit, they may be modelled like that

Richard

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the legs? I'd absolutely astonished if WNW missed the bungees off. Sometimes the bungees were sewn into a bag to protect them from grit, they may be modelled like that

Richard

Richard,

I'm sorry to have confused anyone.  I'm talking about the Roden D.III I'm building currently, not the recently acquired WNW Albatros Trilogy.

This is a photo of the kit's directions relating to assembling the L/G.  The white arrow on red background points to the landing gear strut.

b_063020.jpg

Hope this clears up what I've been trying to relay.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

It's a good job you are so far away....

And you even said Roden in your first post!

Yes, you are right - no bungees!

If you can find some, small diameter soft solder is useful for this as it is very easy to bend. Much softer than copper wire

Richard

Of course, you could copy what's on the WNW Albatros now you have some

Hey Gaz,

I found this build review:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/features/albatrosdiii32bs_1.htm

And here is the section I believe that would help you the most:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNDERCARRIAGE & WHEELS (Roden Step 15)

The undercarriage went together without too much difficulty although it is pretty flimsy. I inserted brass wire so that it would attach the fuselage with some strength. I also replaced part 4B with brass tube to make it stronger.

Lastly I wound fine lead wire around the axle to simulate the rubber band shock absorbers on the real aircraft.

Since the wheels are best left off until later I had to glue parts 9D permanently to 6D – the wheels won't spin but then again it's not a toy you know.

These assemblies were all dry-fitted to ensure a good fit and then painted and set aside for later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Gigant

Tom,

Thanks for the review and link.  I bought some white metal struts, so I may actually use them.  Though I have had problems getting whjite metal to stick before.

Gaz

Gaz, this is a perfect application for lead wire used for tying fishing lures.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lead-Wire-Assortment/744541.uts?productVariantId=1598815&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=30033446&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzLj19JSx2QIVEQeGCh380AW6EAQYASABEgKnf_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by ringleheim