CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there guys!

I have managed to move on from the shock of re adjusting the sections to fit one and other and onto the wing fillets!....a bit fiddly but got there in the end!

This is how I achieved it..................

The first job was to cut to shape a piece of yogurt pot plastic (to save using expensive plastic card)....and glue it on the bottom of the fuselage to make up the bottom section of the fillet and then to place a few ribs on the plate to secure it....

wing_fillets(1a).jpg

All the wiring and pipes etc were then placed in position.......the cover plate I previously made on the last post is in the foreground of the photo......

wing_fillets_(1).jpg

The same was then done on the starboard side.......

wing_fillets_(2).jpg

wing_fillets_(3).jpg

The front plate which was cut from plastic card... was then glued into place after first painting all the detail previously scratched....here are a few photos.......

wing_fillets_(4).jpg

wing_fillets_(5).jpg

wing_fillets_(6).jpg

wing_fillets_(7).jpg

The next task was the hardest part and that was to cut another piece of yogurt pot plastic to the shape of the top part of the fillet and glue it in position....here is the finished construction......

wing_fillets_(8).jpg

wing_fillets_(9).jpg

wing_fillets_(9a).jpg

wing_fillets_(9b).jpg

wing_fillets_(9c).jpg

wing_fillets_(9d).jpg

So all I had to do now was to paint the face plate and I attached some aluminum tape to the top of the fillet to see what it looked like.

Here then are the wing fillets around the Radio room section complete.........

wing_fillets_(9e).jpg

wing_fillets_(9f).jpg

wing_fillets_(9g).jpg

wing_fillets_(9h).jpg

wing_fillets_(9i).jpg

wing_fillets_(9j).jpg

So I am now going to do the hopefully last part of this Radio room section and that is to place the Aluminum tape over the fuselage....

So until then.....thanks guys for taking a look!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys!

All done!........well not actually the whole B17 but I have finished the Radio room section and all 3 sections have now been attached. Getting the nose/cockpit section to line up with the bomb bay was a real nightmare but managed it in the end!

....and it's BIG!!......well it would be at 1:20 scale!.....in fact so far it is just over 2 feet and 2 inches long (66cm).....and of course I haven't started on the rear section yet!

When all 3 sections were secured together I had to touch up the joints the best I could because originally this project was going to be built in separate sections but realized ...too late to be honest....that it would look so much better if it was one complete fuselage. This in turn caused me no end of problems lining everything up and trying to lose at least 1.7 cm in the length. In fact in the end it will be about 5mm too long but I can live with that!

When I start with the rear section I will build it as just one section right back to the rear gunner position this will just give me the one join onto the radio room!

I managed to modify the display stands I originally built for each section and have made 2 stands which can take the weight of the model so far!

I am going to have a rest from this build now and come back to start on the rear section in a few months time.

So here are photographs of just over half the fuselage of "Fuddy Duddy" .........unfortunately taking photos of her being so big half of my house and garden get in on the act!....really difficult!!!!....WARNING! PHOTO HEAVY!

Nose-Bomb-bay-and-Radio-room-sections-jo

I have temporally attached the bomb bay doors on to see the effect....these will be attached permanently when the whole B17 is finished!....here are a few shots......

So there you have it guys!

As I said I need a break from this now but of course not a break from Scratch building!.....I want to maybe have a go at scratch building a jet....something I haven't done before but would like to have a crack and see if I can do it!....I really like the late 40s/50s jet era and have been looking at the the Lockheed P.80 Shooting Star....I have always liked the look of that aircraft....so maybe I will give it a go!

Last thing before I depart......can one of you guys tell me how you change the title of the Thread....eg...I want to continue this thread when I build the last section without having to start a new thread if you know what I mean....I have seen it done on other threads but can't work it out!

Cheers for looking in and I will be back to finish this beast off...and in the mean time I will post a few pics of the Shooting Star (If I actually do it!!) on another thread

All the best guys

Fozzy

2 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

What can one say that's not already been said? 

It's truly remarkable work there. Assuming you completed the behemoth, what would be the final dimensions? 

Hi Pete

"The beast".... will approximately have a wing span of 155 cm and a length of 110 cm ...although I have no plans to build the wings!....just don't have the room for it!! ha ha;)

hang on...

at the top of the page, I see you made a massive brave decision to cut things up, break things up and join essentially two models together..

at the bottom of the page is the completed and dare I say magnificent model - THREE WEEKS later?

have i missed a year or something, is this even possible?

whatever you did (and I belive it was magic), the outcome is breathtaking

Peter