CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Back again with another installment!...have had more distractions than you can shake a stick at but found some spare time again to try and continue with this build!

I managed to complete both port and starboard Oxygen and Glycol tank bays which are under the floor of the radio room.A bit difficult finding photos of said area but I found a diagram giving the positions of the tanks and decided to roll with that!

So here we have the areas prepared for the tank installation....both port and starboard..........

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay.jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(1).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(2).jpg

Starting with the port side ..here are the 2 oxygen tanks installed with all the connecting air lines...

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(3).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(4).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(5).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(6).jpg

....and here is the starboard side that houses one oxygen bottle and the Prop anti icing Glycol tank

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(7).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(8).jpg

Oxygen_and_Glycol_tanks_bay_(9).jpg

So now the next section will be the camera bay under the floor of the radio room...again not many photos and diagrams of that area but I will have to do my best with what I have!;)

So until the next post ...cheers for looking in !

Fozzy

lovely work mate

by the way, recently I uploaded every single photo I have (over 1000) from my old B-17 project to a Facebook page. You have to answer a couple of simple questions to join the group, but once you do that you can access thousands of images of aircraft of all types.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1659466480983634/

once you have registered enter B-17 into the 'search this group' box for my pics

2 hours ago, richdlc said:

lovely work mate

by the way, recently I uploaded every single photo I have (over 1000) from my old B-17 project to a Facebook page. You have to answer a couple of simple questions to join the group, but once you do that you can access thousands of images of aircraft of all types.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1659466480983634/

once you have registered enter B-17 into the 'search this group' box for my pics

Cheers Rich!

I have registered with the group you have mentioned and I am eagerly awaiting to see your B17 photos!....thanks for the heads up mate!

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

PART 1 OF THE CAMERA PIT

Hi guys

Not much is known of the contents of the Camera pit and to that end it was difficult to find information and photos but after endless trolling of the internet and many B17 sites I came across just a few photos and info of the area. I don't know why more info and photos (even drawings) are not out there to see as I think its quite important to show how the bombing photos were taken. For me this is frustrating because if you have been following this build you can see that I am trying to show every aspect of the B17.

However I have started to build the camera pit (as it is seemed to be known as) ..and I hope that I am on the right track.

I haven't finished it yet but have made a good start with the basic equipment at one end of the pit.

So the camera pit is in a small bay centrally placed beneath the radio room and access to it is under a hatch(not built yet). Here the radio operator could operate the camera via an intervalometer which operates periods of time for the camera shutter to operate....hence hopefully capturing the target hits.

The first 3 photos shows the area where the camera pit is located.............

Camera_pit_part_1.jpg

Camera_pit_part_1_(1).jpg

Camera_pit_part_1_(2).jpg

The Propeller anti icing pumps were next scratched out of a couple of old radio capacitors with a few pieces of plastic and wire...these pumps had nothing to do with the camera operation but were stowed in the pit and were used to pump the glycol from the Glycol tank to the propeller's stopping them freezing over....here's the photos.....

Camera_pit_part_1_(3).jpg

Camera_pit_part_1_(4).jpg

Camera_pit_part_1_(5).jpg

Part of the forward floor ...which was made from wood...was now constructed. The circular glass thing represents the view finder aperture.

Camera_pit_part_1_(6).jpg

Here is a photo of the floor placed in the pit and the camera door control also added....

Camera_pit_part_1_(7).jpg

The frame work for the operators seat was now constructed out of plastic.....

Camera_pit_part_1_(8).jpg

...and the wooden seat built.

Camera_pit_part_1_(b).jpg

The Wing Flap hand crank location hole was then built on the underside of a section of the forward floor....I did this by constructing out of wire insulation.........

Camera_pit_part_1_(a).jpg

These items were then placed into the pit and these last 2 photos show how far I have got so far!.......

Camera_pit_part_1_(c).jpg

Camera_pit_part_1_(d).jpg

Phew!!......

So I will be back with the second half of the camera pit as soon as I have completed it.

Thanks again as always for your interest in this megga build!

Cheers

Fozzy