CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

Hi guys

I am pleased to announce that the ball turret construction has come to an end! leaving me with just the detail above the ball that will be shown inside the fuselage.

I have to say that although it was a challenge.... I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the B17G build!......I didn't realize from the offset how much equipment there was inside the turret :o  and I have learn' t a lot about the operation of the turret along the way.

Since my last post I finished off by placing an electrical box and cable on top of all the other detail!...and had to make the gunners hatch door that I will show you first.........

N.jpg

the next photo shows the inside of the door.....

N_(1).jpg

I have temporarily blue tacked the gunners door in its place on the turret for these next set of photos.....

So here is the completed turret at different angles placed on a medicine dispenser I found that held it steady whilst photographing!!....took me ages to scratch build this so no apologies for the amount of photos!! ;)

N_(2).jpg

N_(3).jpg

N_(4).jpg

N_(5).jpg

N_(6).jpg

N_(7).jpg

N_(8).jpg

N_(9).jpg

N_(10).jpg

Here it is turned upside down so you can see the detail!.....

N_(11).jpg

N_(12).jpg

N_(13).jpg

N_(14).jpg

Here is the turret temporarily placed in the fuselage to get some idea of what it might look like when finished!.... 

N_(15).jpg

N_(16).jpg

N_(17).jpg

N_(18).jpg

Well done for sticking around to look at all the photos! :)

So now its back to the Radio room section of the fuselage which will incorporate this ball turret.

I will start by skinning the interior of the bottom section half and will post again when I have made some progress.

Thanks a lot for looking in

Fozzy 

Fozzy,

I take a break from the forums for a while and then this happens......It is sure great to see you building once again.  I promise I will start building sometime soon on the Restoration project I have in mind.  I keep getting great ideas and inspiration from you and all the other scratch building kings around here.  

Been spending most of my time working with a CAD program to give me scale drawings of what I need for my build.....not easy as I had to learn CAD first!  But I think it will help in getting my project going once I start cutting and shaping.  Learning how stuff works is the most difficult part...how does the nose gear attach to the bulkhead; what are the linkages that make it turn.....

You sir are a genius in this realm of building something from nothing.....I bow in your presence

Cheers 

Dan

Fozzy,

I take a break from the forums for a while and then this happens......It is sure great to see you building once again.  I promise I will start building sometime soon on the Restoration project I have in mind.  I keep getting great ideas and inspiration from you and all the other scratch building kings around here.  

Been spending most of my time working with a CAD program to give me scale drawings of what I need for my build.....not easy as I had to learn CAD first!  But I think it will help in getting my project going once I start cutting and shaping.  Learning how stuff works is the most difficult part...how does the nose gear attach to the bulkhead; what are the linkages that make it turn.....

You sir are a genius in this realm of building something from nothing.....I bow in your presence

Cheers 

Dan

Thanks Dan...your too kind!

I did try once upon a time looking at a CAD programme but must admit that I didn't understand it all and decided to stick with what I knew that I could do!...of course I do understand that computer generated drawings are very accurate for scale etc and that my work is not exactly 100% true to scale. but I guess I can live with that!...I also tried my hand at using aftermarket stuff but again found that I was restricted by what was on the market and thought it was all too expensive for me..and to be honest like your self Dan I love "the learning how things work" and want to try to have a go at building something completely without any help other than copying what I see in photos and drawings.....I guess I am an "old school" modeler!!

I wish you all the best with your project and will look forward to seeing it....you just got to love this hobby!..I just wish we all had more time to build all the models we want to .............