CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

Truly an inspirational piece of work Fozzy! Im thinking this is quite utterly nothing less than amazing work.  Here's to your wife's full recovery as well. Family is always more important! 

Thanks for your kind words Brian...your too kind! :)

• 1 month later...

Afternoon guys!

I have just returned from UK and I am now back in my office and can get to my bench!....the last time I posted was 15 March and of course not being able to do any modelling this post is going to be a small update.

So its the continuation of the Ball turret that seems to get more and more complicated the more I look at the photos. I have many photos of different angles of the interior of the turret that I have collected over the months and its a real slow process of interpreting what I see!....not to mention that some of the equipment I have scratch built will be able to be seen but only if you look carefully in all the nooks and crannies!.....as in  the real turret there isn't a spare scrap of space!

So I continued with building an electrical control box that sits on the front of the ammo cans.....here it is.....

J.jpg

I painted the said object and before placing into the turret I built the manual elevation shaft control that the gunner would use if there was no power to the controls....this sits somehow on the front of the electrical control box!.......

J_(1).jpg

The last 3 photos show the progress I have made by looking at the white un painted parts.......

J_(2).jpg

J_(3).jpg

J_(4).jpg

So as you can see....real slow progress for such a small part in this B17G project!

When I have made a bit more progress I will post again....so until then...

Thanks for taking a look

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Excellent work as always Fozzy and makes me appreciate, just how cramped the real ball turret must have been in use!

I'd imagine that ball turret gunners may have had a higher mortality rate than the other crew positions within the B-17 and B-24 fleets!

Excellent work as always Fozzy and makes me appreciate, just how cramped the real ball turret must have been in use!

I'd imagine that ball turret gunners may have had a higher mortality rate than the other crew positions within the B-17 and B-24 fleets!

Interestingly, I read that the tail gunners had the highest mortality rate among B-17 crew

Once again guys....thanks a lot for your interest in this build.

As for the survival rate of these gunners I have also read different opinions!..some say as Bstarr3 has pointed out that the tail gunner was the worst position and then I have read that the nose section was a pretty dodgy position to be in.....(until they installed the chin Turret)...personally I think where ever you were positioned in the Fort flying over Germany in the early 40s was not a good place to be!....my greatest respect for all of those real Heroes!

BTW....apologies for the photos on here that seem to have a mind of their own at the moment!...one minute they are here next they have vanished...I think that Postimage have been hacked....anyone else experiencing problems?

Cheers

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Interestingly, I read that the tail gunners had the highest mortality rate among B-17 crew

Once again guys....thanks a lot for your interest in this build.

As for the survival rate of these gunners I have also read different opinions!..some say as Bstarr3 has pointed out that the tail gunner was the worst position and then I have read that the nose section was a pretty dodgy position to be in.....(until they installed the chin Turret)...personally I think where ever you were positioned in the Fort flying over Germany in the early 40s was not a good place to be!....my greatest respect for all of those real Heroes!

Fozzy

I have no information regarding which position had the higher mortality rate, it just seems to my mind, that the ball turret doesn't appear to lend itself to a rapid exit!