CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

fozzy

Hi guys

I have managed to finish detailing the lower half of the Ball turret.

I really had to think carefully how to approach doing this...because A. ..there is a hell of a lot going on in there!! and B....what I scratch build in the lower half will eventually have to marry up with the top half!.

Luckily I have of photos of "said subject" but of course no dimensions!....and so this was all done by eye balling the photos and trying to scale it in my head down to 1:20.....how ever I am used to this and this is the part of the build I love doing.

I started by building the two 50 cal Browning's.

So it was time to get out my favorite box and tin of the only materials I seem to ever use when doing this................

image.jpg

Scrap plastic and bits of wire!....and I think I used a Christmas card some where in bottom half of this turret!

So here we have the two Browning's ready for a bit of paint...

F_1.jpg

F_2.jpg

The guns were placed into the turret ..(that was a nightmare!....took ages!)...and then on with a few more parts to be scratched.

Here for example is the air regulator and heated suit unit that are tucked away in front of the armored plate that protects the gunners under cart!default_ohmy.png.....

F_3.jpg

and here are the Air pressure gauges on their panel....

F_4.jpg

...and with a little colour attached....

F_5.jpg

There was times I built a part and then had to start all over again....mainly a scale issue...but got there in the end!

Tomorrow I will take photos of the completed bottom half and post again...its late here in Bulgaria...my bed is calling!!default_wink.png

Until tomorrow then....

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Afternoon all!

OK then.... I took photos of the bottom half of this turret this morning so that I could show you the progress that I have made so far. I have to say that I found researching the Sperry Ball Turret fascinating and it was ...and still is...pretty difficult to put it all together!...If I thought the lower section was hard it will be nothing compared to the upper half!.,..as I said in my last post it was difficult at times to know which part to scratch build first...wires and cables were hidden behind parts so I really had to think it all through!....this is my excuse in case you see any flaws...and believe me there are a few!...

But I am happy with the way it turned out....so far!

So here are the photos then......I think that the whole thing will look better when the top half is joined..........

image.jpg

G_1.jpg

G_2.jpg

G_3.jpg

G_4.jpg

...and just so you can get an idea of the scale.......

G_5.jpg

The next few photos show all the bits and bobs that go into the lower half of the ball....

G_(6).jpg

G_(7).jpg

G_(8).jpg

G_(9).jpg

G_10.jpg

G_11.jpg

So ....thinking ahead of the upper half I think I am going to have to think outside the box on this one as so far with this project I have put the emphasis on being able to see the internal workings of the B17G.....EG...the nose section was only skinned up to the cockpit plexiglass...so you could see into the cockpit....same as the last section I built...the bomb bay...although I think I might have to re visit the bomb bay as I don't think you can see into the bay very well....and so to this radio room....and to that end this Ball turret....I think I will design it so that the top of the ball is open enabling you to see down into the ball......its a load of balls really...giggle.gif...but I think you know where I'm going with this!

Unfortunately My Wife has fallen ill and I have to return to the UK for a few weeks to look after her and so I don't think I will be able to post any more up dates for a while ....might be able to slip a small one in before I go!.....this post is full of double entendre's!!default_wink.png

Cheers for looking in chaps

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Hi there Lads and Lasses!

I am off to the UK tomorrow but was able to do a quick update before I set off.default_wink.png

I haven't done much but its a start to complete the ball turret part of this build.

Looking at photos convinced me that the next best thing to scratch build should be the ammo cans that are inside the ball!....they sit just above (and I mean just above) the gunners thighs!....I can see why the ball turret gunners had to be small...there is just no room to move an inch!...no wonder they got cramp!.....lying there in that draughty enclosed space ...dangling under the belly of the B17 with the deafening thunder of the 50 cals a few inches from their ears!....... great respect for them!default_bow.gif

Scratch building the ammunition cans was a huge task in it self and I hope that they look something like them....I built them from a small block of balsa wood and then covered it with some yogurt pot plastic....just to save some of my plastic card!

The rounds were made by cutting teeny pieces of telephone wire and gluing them on a strip of paper.

Here is a photo of the can's and some of the ammunition that will be seen before painting.....

H.jpg

The rounds were then glued into position and the whole thing was painted......

H_(1).jpg

H_(2).jpg

Then the real tricky part started!......fixing the whole lot into the small ball.

I decided a few days ago that the whole idea of this B17G project was mainly to show off all the interior detail....and so I thought that the top of the ball should be open so that when its in the fuselage you can look straight down into the turret as well as looking through the gunners hatch which will be on the outside of the fuselage.....so to that end I cut part of the top off the ball as you will see in the next photos.

It took a lot of dry runs to make the cans  fit in the ball with the top half on....but managed to do it in the end.

Here we have the ammunition cans in the turret minus the top half....

H_(3).jpg

H_(4).jpg

H_(5).jpg

....and here is what it looks like with the top of the ball temporarily attached...

H_(6).jpg

H_(7).jpg

H_(8).jpg

H_(9).jpg

You might notice that only one side of the ammunition cans are painted....this is because a lot of detail will be attached to the un painted side later.

So now I am off to UK for a few weeks and will be back to continue this mid April.

Thanks as always for looking in and taking a peek!

Laters

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy