New resin fillet tail for new Revell P-51D!

1to1scale

Guest Smitty44

Thats the way I would do things.

I already have one of Roys IPs to use, and still have a Yaho IP to use on a different later Mustang.  Im just not in a hurry, so will likely just wait until Revell issues their likely forthcoming filleted Mustang at some point. 

Although details like the IP dont necessarily bother me (again Id be more apt to use something like Roys late IP as apposed to modifying the Revell IP), my only thing would be the canopy. IIRC, I dont think the -5 canopy would be correct with a late filleted tail, but Im no Mustang expert. Although IIARC, the Tamiya kit comes with the later canopy as well..............I wonder like the tail, if that would fit the Revell kit enough to work as well?

Not gonna be much cheaper than a Tamiya P-51 by the time some are done.

Edited by Smitty44

Not gonna be much cheaper than a Tamiya P-51 by the time some are done.

Unless you already have one or two in the stash, and dont need those parts since you are building an earlier fillet less version with the Tam kit...............

:coolio:

If the so called “Dallas†canopy is what you're talking about, I'm not sure that's a specific “late†feature. More like something on P-51s with assembled from parts from a specific contractor. Also, the canopies were interchangeable, so if a canopy was damaged in the field, it could have the other canopy as a replacement. I believe a few Mustangs were photographed with both canopies at various times.

If the so called “Dallas†canopy is what you're talking about, I'm not sure that's a specific “late†feature. More like something on P-51s with assembled from parts from a specific contractor. Also, the canopies were interchangeable, so if a canopy was damaged in the field, it could have the other canopy as a replacement. I believe a few Mustangs were photographed with both canopies at various times.

Good point about field mods Dave. Same with tires and what not, so really its down to the tail, and the IP then to do a proper "late" Mustang? 

The canopy in the Revell D-5 kit was only used on the D-5. It is absolutely not suitable for any other types. The "late" canopies bulge out sideways and have a different profile.

The "metal rudder" is pure fantasy and wrong.

Hth

Radu

Thanks Radu. Im concluding the more I look at things, the more Im likely just going to make up my own custom masks for an early -5 (Horses Itch likely) and do an early Mustang OOB except for the masks, belts and likely wheels/tires. 

I think those waiting for Revel to release a late version with "ALL" the changes will be waiting a very long time. In the meantime there are other sources for pretty much everything else...IPs, canopies, I think somebody even does the various styles of vent beneath the engine though I can't remember who it was at this point. In the meantime, I have about five Tamiya finless tails I would like to swap for finned ones...anyone interested?

Please do not misunderstand, I am not trying to wreck a manufacturer's product here. If anything, I am trying to steer them towards making a complete product. After seeing the kind of attention that Pastor John put into covering even the smallest detail into his Bf 110 F/G conversion, that is the kind of standard that one should strive for. Reducing the differences between the types of Mustangs to just a "fillet" reveals a certain amount of... let us call it... "naivety". 

Radu 

Pastor John's Bf-110 is brilliant, I have ordered one, but it also costs a small fortune...the filleted tail is dirt cheap and meant for people who just don't like the old tail and don't want to fork out another small fortune on the Tamiya or ZM kits...as for all the other changes, there are already lots of sources for most of them and perhaps even a few minutes of scratch building for those that aren't. I don't think its naive at all. Btw, love your stuff Radu

The late model glareshield is also different from the early version. There are ribs on the sides of the late model glare shield whereas the early glareshield is flat/smooth. Gunfight could also be different. The N9 being the early to mid sight where the very late mustangs were fitted with the K-14A in the factory. A lot of earlier mustangs were retrofitted with the K-14A so it's not really a distinguishing feature.

The late model glareshield is also different from the early version. There are ribs on the sides of the late model glare shield whereas the early glareshield is flat/smooth. Gunfight could also be different. The N9 being the early to mid sight where the very late mustangs were fitted with the K-14A in the factory. A lot of earlier mustangs were retrofitted with the K-14A so it's not really a distinguishing feature.

both style glare shields are provided in the Revell kit.

The resin fillet looks very nice but I bought the Revell kit because I wanted the early -5 tail. I've previously built "Passion Wagon" in 1:48 and have wanted to do it 1:32 and now I can without surgery. :frantic:

Both the standard Tamiya P-51D and Zoukei Mura "Mk.IV" boxings include both filleted and unfilleted tail parts, as well as 3 - 4 canopy styles, both elevator types, all the different cockpit details and a myriad of other stuff allowing anyone to build any P-51D subtype they wish. 

If accuracy isn't a concern, Dragon released an unfilleted P-51D 'early' kit, too. 

So, no surgery would have been required to go filletless unless you intended to use an ancient Hasegawa P-51D as your starting point. 

It isn't as though Revell cornered the market on early P-51Ds when they unwisely produced their new kit as a D-5. However, thanks to 109ace, the Revell kit's most glaring deficiency is easily and inexpensively corrected. :)

D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Revell's kit. They made it as a D-5 and it is. Based on the sprue breakdown, it's clear that they intend to release a late version in the future. As noted, both glare shields are in the kit, as are three lower cowling side air intake variations, and both shrouded and unshrouded exhausts. Only the N-9 reflector gun sight is in the kit, so it's likely the late kit will have a different, or more likely, an additional clear sprue, which might have different canopies. The IP, some cockpit panels, and the fabric elevators are all on one small sprue which will likely simply be replaced in the late release.

Are we really slagging on this nice new tool $25 P-51 kit because it doesn't have all the parts for early/late in the box like the $90+ Tamiya or Z-M kits? Can no one really wait for Revell to come out with the proper late Mustang boxing? I know I can.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by Dave Williams

More dorsal fin fun here: https://ww2aircraft....rsal-fin.31066/

and here: http://www.mustangsm...php?topic=388.0

I have posted this in another thread, this one seems more active. Looks like D-5s could be retrofitted with the fin

Richard

I think it safe to say that at some point, all flying P-51's had that fillet added in the field as it was a safety issue that led to its inception.  I spent an afternoon with Frank Kyle, a Mustang pilot. He showed me two pictures of his plane "Pony's Express" One was an olive drab D without fillet, and the other was a bare metal finish D with the fillet. He pointed out that they were the same aircraft. He returned to base after an afternoon mission and his chief took the plane to work on it. Said it would be back the next day.  Frank went out the next afternoon to see his plane and the crew had worked through the night stripping the paint off of it with steel wool and gasoline. All markings were replaced and the plane sported a new fillet on the tail. He said it improved the flying characteristics of the plane. Buffeting was a issue in the early P-51's.

Edited by 109ace

I love this side of modelling. That fillet has lead me into stuff about the need to change the fuselage to cope with the more powerful engine, WW2 documents on failures and other stuff

Brilliant

Richard