Hey, folks. I have a couple of questions on the new Revell P-51

mikethepoormodeler

Should the shell ejection chutes on the bottom wing be opened up or not?  I've seen some models with them open and some not, so I'm curious to know.

Also, I found some aftermarket sets from Eduard listed for the Revell P-51.  Are these sets for this new kit or are they for an older Revell P-51?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Just had a look at the kit and instructions, they don't say to open them up, you could always paint the tops black, or open them up, as they are on the Tamiya kit, but that has the gun bays above, so not much of a void as there would be with the Revell kit. The Eduard sets will be for the new Revell kit. 

Thanks for your rather snarky reply, Jennings.  I'm not a Mustang expert so I was hoping to gain some knowledge.  Instead I found sarcasm and a not so subtle put down.  Sorry I troubled the board.  I will not ask anymore questions but will go back to just lurking.

Kagemusha, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your rather snarky reply, Jennings.  I'm not a Mustang expert so I was hoping to gain some knowledge.  Instead I found sarcasm and a not so subtle put down.  Sorry I troubled the board.  I will not ask anymore questions but will go back to just lurking.

Kagemusha, thanks for your input.

Mike,  Its just Jennings way of introducing himself. Apparently its all "part of the show". We are here to help, so please do ask away.  As to the Mustang I just acquired it in a trade myself, so Ill have to look out for that.

Thanks for the heads up. 

Well, I've just looked at mine (kit, not P-51 :)) and Revell have already put a half decent recess in there for us.

What'd be 'up there' would be a curved chute that took the spent shells and casings from horizontal exit from the gun to vertical disposal. So, there'd be a curved 'roof' to the chute. This is different to, say, a FW 190s fuselage gun exit chutes where there was a long drop from gun to chute and paint may not suffice to represent all that empty blackness.  Whether you'd notice this enough on the P-51s set up to be worth the extra hassle is a moot point. My effort will be placed more firmly on something on the upper surfaces and more visible...

Matt

EDIT

Having said all that, I just found this which shows there's actually quite a drop from gun exit to chute opening. So, maybe I will open it up to get that extra depth.. It's a PDF doc that shows layout very well...

http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/usa/northamericanaviation/p-51mustang/to-60je-12-replacement-of-link-ejection-chutes-p-51d.html

Edited by mattlow

Mike-

I've got mine, and I plan to open up the slots in the bottom of the wing. I feel the depth will be better than just painting the recess black, even though they aren't exactly shallow.

As for the new aftermarket Eduard stuff, it's for the new kit, not the old one. There's a prop, wheels, and masks available at the moment (not sure about photoetch, didn't check). I ordered the wheels and masks for mine, and intend on using some photoetch seatbelts for the cockpit. Otherwise, she's going to be out of the box!

HTH

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA