New Special Hobby WW1 kit : Fokker D.II

Zero77

Mine landed about 2 weeks ago from Germany, quite an interesting plane. It's standard SH quality, but it it by no means unbuildable and will look good when done. Aviattic fokker streaky decals will really make this one pop. 

The rigging diagrams blow Wingnut Wings out of the water, and are by far the clearest of all biplane kits I've seen. Bravo to that!

This looks really interesting.  how do you guys plan on rigging it up?  I ask because the instructions indicate the rigging should be attached in many cases to PE parts which are surface glued to the kit.  I'm concerned about the rigging being taut enough, without putting so much strain on the PE that it either bends or pops off.

OK. From the drawings and images I found it didn't look like there were enough wires for wing-warping, but must have been. Interesting.

That made me go and look:

sh32076_fokker_d.ii_.jpg

If you check, the front struts in each wing bay have a pair of crossed wires, making a rigid girder across the front

The outer rear strut has a wire running from the bottom up to a pulley at the top of the rear cabane strut. There's another running from the top down to an opening in the fuselage behind the cowl. There's also a cut out in the centre rear strut to clear the cables. It's rather a neat way of keeping all the control cables between the wings

Fascinating

Richard

You are right! When I first looked at the box art I just assumed it was the typical cross bracing. Now that you point it out, it is definitely designed for the rear struts to be flexed up and down with the cables. Quite elegantly, too. I had never noticed that type of wing warp controls before, always associated it with the bird-winged monoplanes and the mass-o-wires that was the Wright Flyer.

I had never noticed that type of wing warp controls before, always associated it with the bird-winged monoplanes and the mass-o-wires that was the Wright Flyer.

Neither had I, so you prompted me to go and have a look. 

Richard