TF-104G and (R)F-104G Italeri 1/32 on their way...

timvkampen

7 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

I just want to do a Belgian TF-104.  Need to do a bunch of research to find the right one, I figure Daco will release decals for it

Matt 

The Italeri kit will come with decals for Belgian TF-104G “FC11”.

https://italeri.com/news_scheda.asp?idNews=754

Also, Daco already has a sheet out for Belgian 104s, with codes and stencils to allow almost any aircraft to be built.  Can’t see them releasing another sheet.

http://www.dacoproducts.com/KDCD64.php

22 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Maybe another interisting fact about German Air Force (despite their USAF markings) 58th TFTW TF-104G's:

Unlike their regular GAF  siblings, the birds stationed at Luke were the only two seaters in German inventory that have never been retrofitted with the J79-MTU-J1K engine with the late nozzle, retaining the original J79-GE-11A turbojet (early nozzle). The entire fleet of operational GAF F-104G/TF-104G models was re-engined between December 1970 and November 1973. 58th TFTW TF-104G's were skipped for logistical reasons. 

J79-MTU-J1K:

MQSP9Qo.jpg

Ivan the HAF also flown some 104s with the 11 engine after they received many ex German birds with their MTU installed and many MTUs extra ....so  ex German 104 means not automatically MTU engine on board  

Edited by Menelaos

In principle yes, but... 

I explicitly wrote about operational German AF F-104G/TF-104G, not about ex-GAF HAF Zippers. It's nitpicking, I know...  :mental:

Maybe I should have added " in operational/active GAF/Navy JG/JaboG/AG/MFG service". 

Operational Bundesluftwaffe/Marine F-104s after November 1973 -> J79-MTU-J1K.

Except for those 58th TFTW birds. The -11A could be maintained, overhauled and repaired in the U.S. A -J1K would have been sent back to Germany for depot maintenance, etc. In the end, it's just a side note for those who want to build a German Starfighter in German service.

Ex-GAF ΠA Zippers:

I cannot say whether some of those were "re-retrofitted" with the -11A prior to delivery to Greece under the Defense Assistance Program while being processed at  Gruppe 12 of Luftwaffenversorgungsregiment 1 in Erding or whether the -11A was retrofitted in Greece.

In principle, it wasn't too much of a big deal to switch back from a -J1K back to a GE- or licence-built -11A. The -11A was more widely and readily available than the -J1K, the latter being "a German thing" born out of necessity in view of a really large Zipper fleet to be maintained. 

I'm soooo tempted to get one or two TF-104G kits, but my large stash of 1/48th Hasegawa Zippers says "nyet!"

Gxxfeem.png

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

Hi All - just re-visiting this thread and noticed that in the picture posted by Out2gtcha on July 13, TF.104 63-3076 is carrying a "strange/different" 'pod/tank' under it's starboard wing - can anyone shed some light on what it was and how this could be modelled ?

Best regards,

Steve S.

...and finally after almost 30 years building a 1/32 scale 2-seat Zipper...to complement the 1/72 conversion (Esci) I made when I was 15!! A big thank you to Pieter Posthumus who designed a conversion process for the 1/32 2-seat Zipper in 1987!!

First picture: Pieter Posthumus rendition (the canopies are made from a "spare"  F-14 Tamiya canopy!; I did it the same for 1/72 scale from an Italeri F-14 canopy!).

Second picture is my 1/72 scale 2-Zipper. Looking forward to Italeri's kit!!

pnxm49BCj

pmyPuNl2j

On 7/13/2018 at 11:39 PM, scvrobeson said:

I just want to do a Belgian TF-104.  Need to do a bunch of research to find the right one, I figure Daco will release decals for it

Matt 

Try to find the Verlinden Lock On N°1. It was explicitly dedicated to the Belgian F-104.

Hth

Thierry