Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, Detailed Walk-Around

dodgem37

'Any shots with the whole aircraft in?'

Thunda, your wish is my Commando.  See below.

Thank you, Brian.  This was a tremendous effort.  Both good and bad.  On the good side, because the kits' exposed areas are so nicely rendered, they simply invited dressing up instead of closing up.  On the bad side, because the kits' exposed areas are so nicely rendered, they simply invited dressing up instead of closing up.  Did I just repeat myself?

Thank you, Barry.  Building the detail was ALOT of fun.  Not so much the painting.  That seemed tedious, and as such, interminable.

Thank you, Bjorn.  Take it one step at a time, take your time, don't be satisfied with second best, and one day you will achieve results like this, or better.  When I started scratch-building, goodness, almost 27 years ago, I had so much trepidation.  What if I do it wrong?  What if I make a mistake/  What if I do a lousy job?  What if it didn't fit?  If I did any one of these, then I did it over until I thought it was right.  That's all you have to do.

As the saying goes, 'Free your ass and your mind will follow.'  What is meant by that is 'Don't worry about it, just do it.'  And if you need to do it again, then just do it again.

As far as scale goes; just make it as small as you can!  No seriously, scale is important.  When studying imagery you compare what is in your reference that you want to do against a given.  The given is a kit part.  Somewhere in the image will be an image of a kit part.  So you make what you want with as close of a size relationship to the kit part as you can.  With that, your scale is close enough.  If the part looks too long, or square, or whatever, you remake the part so the part has a better relationship with what is given.  Work in millimeters and half millimeters.

Thank you, Mike.  It sure took long enough.

Thank you, Filippo.  I like the wheel wells.  I especially like the blue and yellow stripes on the hydraulic lines.  They look fun.

Thank you, Chuck.  There is so much detail there may be too much detail.

Thank you, Bill.  I do like the way I finished the ordnance.  The wiring really sets them off.  I only wish I could have gotten straighter wires on the rockets, but I couldn't get rid of that loop.  Painting the bomb was an experiment that worked out in my favor.

Thank you, Wouter.  I made a field repair to the ordnance.  When I was photographing the build one of my light sources fell onto the model.  Thank you, G O D, damage was ever so minor.

Thank you, Mr. b.  There was a lot of focus in this one.

Last of the many.

DSCN6434_zpscm1hrgim.jpg

DSCN6435_zps2hzrjeb1.jpg

DSCN6436_zpsggwehhfa.jpg

DSCN6437_zpsrew90w6j.jpg

End of Line.

Thank you one and all for your continued interest and support.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

I consider myself fortunate to see this beauty in person.  The detail hurts my eyes more when my fat face is less than 6" away from this build.  I've been where the magic happens.  I also walked away with some excellent tips and coaching, thank you Mark.

Bravo on a spectacular finish.  Now get to work on the build you promised the boss.  :)

Thank you, Rick.  Again, soon.  Where the magic happens?  You mean Marks' Messy Mausoleum!  Now that this is almost finished, I'm laying down some fuel spillage now, I can get to my wifes' P-40N and my PT Boat.

I've work on your canopies and am having a dickens of a time vaccing something with crystal clear clarity.  I've used 3 different types of clear sheet and both of my vacs and have not succeeded in producing something crystal clear, but I haven't given up.

Thank you, Kevin.  You are a busy man, having over a trillion posts, so I know you are around and about, so no one can blame you if you miss one.  But did it have to be mine?!

Bjorn, I almost forgot, there is another way to scratch build to scale.  This way requires math.  Measure the image of the given part in the photograph (5) and measure the given part (9).  Put the measurement of the given part over the measurement of the part in the photograph, 5/9.  For the part you are making measure the part in the photograph (18).  The unknown is the dimension of the part you want to make, so this fraction looks like this X/18.

So what you have as an equation is this: 5/9 = X/18.  This will tell you the size of the part you have to make.  Cross multiply: 5 x 18 = 90.  9 x X = 9X.  So, 9X = 90. 90/9 = X.  X = 10.  So the size of the part you have to make for it to have a relationship to the exiting part is 10.

Who said modeling was easy?

Thank you .

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, John.  I like this scheme as well.  There were other schemes to choose from but I like the symmetry of this scheme, and the wide Campaign Bands.

Last but not least.  I suppose.

DSCN6438_zpsxcvxwdy5.jpg

Added fuel spillage.  Not so much.  Oh, well.  Ran some Black and Raw Umber oil paint along panel lines specific to capillary action between panels.

DSCN6439_zpsyissf4ha.jpg

Down the wing and along the inner flap panel toward the fuselage.

DSCN6440_zps5vkfcdkw.jpg

Same here.  Done for now.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 8 months later...

Beautiful P-51D...I love that paint scheme too. I read a book about the Sinai Campaign and the Israeli AF used those mustangs to fly low level and cut communication lines with the prop! The things they did to ensure their national security! I am researching a IAF F-4E for the YKW. So much to choose from! Great job...you've done justice to the Mustang and the IAF.

Cheers...Ron