P-51B/C fuselage fuel tank question-

bdthoresen

Hey gents-

Working away on my 32nd P-51C air racer, and read in some of the reference material that the aircraft I am modeling had it's fuselage fuel tank removed when it what built up for air racing- I do know that sometime in the production life of the -51B/C they stopped using the fuselage tankdue to its adverse effects on the aircraft's Center of gravity. So, if the tank had been removed, what did they use to install the equipment behind the pilot's headrest. I believe most times there was a radio, and an aircraft battery; but I am not sure how the equipment was mounted. Was there some sort of shelf installed?

I went through all of my references and the google, and had no luck so far. Any insight into this area would be appreciated!

Thanks-

THOR    :ph34r:

Interesting photo, Fencer. Thanks for sharing.

Based on what I am seeing here, it would appear that the equipment shelf/bracket that is usually molded on top of fuselage fuel tanks in Mustangs was mounted to the structure, and the tank slid underneath it. OK, off to do some more research-

Thanks-

THOR    :ninja:

This is from the P-51B-1 Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions, July 1, 1943. It is prior to the fitment of the fuselage tank in the production run and may not reflect accurately what a later "B" or "C" model may look like after having the fuselage tank removed.

XxAlgi.jpg