1/32 3D printed model

SirBlueHenry

Well i thought since it is likely that I wikll build a 3D model I might as well do so in a topic here on the forums.

The tests I did with aerofoils are an interesting start but tinkerCAD had its limitations as far as the specific test i was doing.

Anyway - no matter what mix of software I end up using - I thought I could try an easy topic, and do it in 1/32 scale

Im open to suggestions on what to actually build - keeping in mind this is just a trial, not aimed at taking forever - more like something in which parts can be designed easily and we can all learn 

I will only be printing in PLA.

For those that dont know - PLA is a cornstarch product and sands more like a hard wood than styrene plastic.

PLA does not bend - it is brittle and snaps, and it does not glue with styrene cement. It can not be smoothed in an Acetone vapour enclosure and as such the print resolution lines WILL be present on the entire model.

Part of this project will be learning how to best build a model taking all of this into account.

Inevitably I will use some other materials as well - like maybe steel pins, and maybe even canvas covering to simulate WW1 style - which would be one way of hiding the print resolution lines.

So lets have some suggestions?

My own first suggestion would be some WW1 monoplane, Junkers D1 or even a prewar Antoinette type, Bleriot?

What do you think?

Also preferable something where blueprints are available.

I do want to focus more on the build than on design 

A Prusa MkII, and I may have problems with small parts - but lets see - its all part of the learning. The Printer of course can never come close to injection moulded quality - not with these printers anyway. So the tiny parts wont be my focus. I will just do the best I can within the limits of the printer.

What have you tried to print as far as model parts?

I had a quick look  - googling 3D models, some nice planes but they sell the files for high prices, so thats not a route im taking. Im not out ton reproduce someones work. I also looked at some framework models - which are sort of ok - but since we all build essentially aluminium skinned aircraft - its possibly more meaningful to do something in that respect - rather than the easy route of covering with fabric.

But once again - I dont want to spend the time designing - i want to build.

Oh - the other slightly cool thing about this build thread is that people could partake  - well any with 3D printers at least - in that the STL files could be shared 

I could be designed and built by multiple people around the world - not just by any 1 person.

Good news. I'll be tuning in. Though I'm doing a lot of 3D printed details in my scratchbuilt Bearcat, it's mostly conventional volume wise. I thought 3D printing the cowling in PLA worked out great and have since thought about full models. In my spare time I've played around with an  F-86 and X-3 3D models  as possible LSP  fuselages printed in 3D. WW1 would be very possible and all the toil of spars and such could be remedied with the printer's work (I think).  And I like your early flight ideas like the Lilenthal glider.  Can't wait for some results.  I log here on to see the non commercial work most of all and there is never enough! 

Im now sort of busy pondering this whole idea. I can see 3D printing gradually taking more hold within plastic model building, not to replace anything but just as another tool to obtain parts.

My initial thought was simply to make some or other plane which was not a big project but also not something so insignificant that most modelers just tune out.

So what i mean by that is that the end result and the process are experiences we can learn from and take an interest in building, but now im also starting to think of the value in being able to re-use whatever we create here. Something you could print in an acceptable length of time (a day), and if you wanted you could build it over and over again - refining or different colour schemes or whatever.

The Lilienthal glider doesnt quite suite the desires of most modelers, but back to the Junkers D1. Its a small plane and in 1/32 would not overwhelm a 3D printer too much. It would keep things to acceptable level of simplicity.

It already has corrugations, which means the print lines would somewhat be camouflaged by the fact there are these corrugations.

Its not the nicest looking of planes - but not the worst either.

It is quite simple, contains no clear pieces, and has just enough engine, gun and cockpit detail to have modeling value.

So lets say the end result is a a Junkers D1 which anyone can download and print for free and have the experience of building something in PLA - assuming they have a friend somewhere, or a local library or resource centre that could print the kit.

Henry,

One of the guys in the Chattanooga IPMS club is very active with his 3D printer and has actually sculpted some parts.  I suggest leaving a message for their club contact, Lynn Petty, asking to be put in contact with their club member who is doing the 3D modeling work and I'm sure he will send on your information to him.  I don't remember his name, but he is incredibly knowledgeable about 3D printing and I'm sure he would be of some help.  And he's a super nice guy.

You can let Lynn know I referred you.

http://www.chattanoogascalemodelers.com/chapter-contact/

Chris Nicoll, NovaIPMS

Little late for the Junkers with the recent WNW announcement, but I'd love to see a skeleton frame for the Antionette monoplane. The engine would be a tough part to make look good in PLA. Also wonder about the longevity of the PLA compared to possibly ABS. Some printers can be adjusted to output either material.

Tnarg

Well it doesnt have to be the Junkers, but I really don't see it competing on any level with an injection moulded kit - more an interesting alternative  - but still - your argument holds validity in that it would be nice to have something that doesnt exist yet.

Ok - well lets look at some early aircraft - Pre WW1 - with Bleriot and Antoinette being options. I was even considering Ader Eole's 'Avion' for a bit of something wierd - but personally Id be happier with something more conventional - yet slightly less mainstream than the Bleriot.

PLA may be as durable as Styrene - I believe it wont like heat - so no standing in the sun - i guess i could have done a test today - it was 34 C here - would have trashed one of my PLA prints nicely. PLA warps less than the other materials and is easier - but of course you could do ABS. 

Ok - I guess the choice is between one of the Antoinette monoplanes - especially since these used the first V8 engines, and the Deperdussin with 3 cyl Anzani engine

Both fairly similar  - the Deperdussin more successful i think, and maybe better looking - but thats opinion.

What it comes down to - is that we are looking at some of the significant aircraft of 1909

We could go slightly earlier 1908 or even 1907 but really 1909 is more significant

The 1909 Rheims aviation meeting held in August of that year - the most significant aviation meeting in the world up to that point would be a good focus.

http://www.thosemagnificentmen.co.uk/rheims/

and then everyone will be watching "Those magnificent men and their Flying machines" again (set in 1910)

Could be interesting

This 1909 Antoinette VII (reproduction I believe) hangs in my local airport here in Maine. On recent flights I've looked up at her and considered it fair game for a good scratch build. It got a lot of detail that exhibition has hidden from view which is too bad.  It's quite a thing of beauty compared to its peers of the age. 

2zkPdN.png