Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

Wolf - I just love that cockpit.  Am currently stuck continuing the engine build for my 1/18, and will be for a few months I think.  I long to work other stuff - like the cockpit!  Wonder if peter produces 1/18 decals....must look into that.  My challenge of course is to approach your level of excellence even just a little.

Wow, it's great to see you back on the Corsair, Wolf!  It's funny how I was inspired to build a Corsair and referenced your build extensively and now my project is done and yours is re-starting!  Looking forward to seeing all of the cool little things you'll be adding to this one!

13 hours ago, JT68 said:

Beautiful work on that cockpit Wolf!...looks amazing.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff,

It’s amazing how much of the cockpit, especially the details below the side consoles, that’s very hard to see once it’s enclosed within the fuselage.

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, williamj said:

So yesterday I didn't do a thing,didn't accomplish anything at all.

Then stopped in to look at your Corsair pit.So yeah,yesterday wasn't too bad .

Wolf,You're an artist, and I'm not too shy to say it.

:clap2::bow::clap2::bow:  Keep making my day.

Hey Bill,

Sometimes those days where you didn’t do anything or accomplish as much are good days too. I’m sure you spent your day figuring out how you’re going to turn your Hellcat build in to another gem. 

Today feels like I haven’t accomplished much either. Despite the fact I’ve spent hours restoring the ultra fine rivet detail along the fuselage seams on the Corsair. It’s like an artist painting pinstripes with a worn 4” brush.

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, JayW said:

Wolf - I just love that cockpit.  Am currently stuck continuing the engine build for my 1/18, and will be for a few months I think.  I long to work other stuff - like the cockpit!  Wonder if peter produces 1/18 decals....must look into that.  My challenge of course is to approach your level of excellence even just a little.

Hello Jay,

Thanks for the kind words!

I honestly don’t know how you do what you do in 1/18th. I’d never get done. ADD is not fun for a slow builder like myself. So good on ya for doin’ what you do m’ man!

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'Even more Fun was the SC within a white circle on the supercharger or blower control knob! '

I saw that, too!  I wondered how you painted that.  Now I know!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark,

It’s all done with deecaals. The hard part was finding the right size of S and C to fit on the knob.

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Wow, it's great to see you back on the Corsair, Wolf!  It's funny how I was inspired to build a Corsair and referenced your build extensively and now my project is done and yours is re-starting!  Looking forward to seeing all of the cool little things you'll be adding to this one!

Hello John,

Theres some real irony in all this. I happen to be referencing your build as I continue on with mine. I sincerely hope I can weather mine anywhere close to how you did yours!

Cheers,

Wolf <><

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Wolf ,this is going to be another "trophy harvester" ,  splendid work.

Cheers

Martin

Hey Martin,

I don’t know about “trophy harvester” my friend. I’d actually have to finish it before I screw it up. Screwing it up is proving to be easier!

Cheers,

Wolf

• 1 month later...

Work continues on the Corsair all be it at a snail's pace. I've had to do so many "do overs" I stopped counting. It seems that I've lost a certain edge after having left the bench alone for over a year. Pure and simple persistence has been the order of the day some days. It's definitely not the kit. I continue to marvel at what Tamiya has given us with this model.

The fuselage has been completed with all rivet detail restored where sanding was required to eliminate any seams. RB Productions rivet wheel was very instrumental in accomplishing that. Thank-you Radu!

Once the fuselage assembly was done I returned to the engine. I completed the Vector cowl flaps, painted them, and added the control cable for the flap actuators. I mixed a light grey color to paint the inside of the flaps and discovered that I'd mixed a color that perfectly matched Tamiya's Royal Light Grey. :closedeyes: Any required touch ups used that color. The outside of the cowl flaps and front engine cowling were painted with AK paints Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue, and Insignia White, which is actually an off white slightly creamy color. It's my first time using AK's paints and I'm duly impressed with them.

The kit's exhaust were replaced with metal ones from Rexx. Two of the kit exhaust pipes were lost (granddaughters at play) so I ordered the Rexx items. The lost exhaust pipes is what caused this build to stall so many moons ago. :BANGHEAD2:

Corsair_30.jpg

Corsair_31.jpg

Corsair_32.jpg

Corsair_34.jpg

Corsair_33.jpg

The windscreen had some additional framing added to the bottom edges and to that was added the mountings for the front cockpit lights. I also added extra detail, according to my references, to the flap position selector. The inner windscreen was masked off with Montex Masks and sprayed Tamiya's Nato Black. I had some ragged edges to my masking so Tamiya tape was used to re-mask and re-spray. The flap position selector had a decal applied from BarracudaCals cockpit data stencil sheet (an absolute must for this kit IMHO) and was glued in place. The forward windscreen was then permanently affixed with Tamiya's extra thin cement.

Corsair_35.jpg

Corsair_36.jpg

Corsair_37.jpg

I also managed to complete the tail wheel assembly. I think the tire needs a bit more weathering though. A photo I saw in Detail & Scale's book on the Corsair shows the shock strut had a data placard so Archer Fine Transfer came to the Rescue. Thanks Woody! The data placard was dry transferred on to Archer's wet media paper and then applied to the shock strut as a normal decal. The shock piston was covered with Bare Metal Foil to give it that chrome like finish.

Corsair_38.jpg

Corsair_39.jpg

As I've been bouncing around through the various steps of construction and experimenting with AK paints I decided to assemble and paint the rudder. That included adding the small hook atop the rudder post that the antenna wire will attach to.

Corsair_40.jpg

More has been done on the build but not ready to be photographed yet. We're slowly gettin' there though...............:)

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee