Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Wolf,

Wow, devastating to hear about getting laid off.  SO sorry to hear the bad news but do hope it is VERY temporary and when you get rehired it comes with a nice bonus.  Ugh.

Your work, as usual, is innovative and impeccable - wow. I'm not that familiar with Corsairs, but I have NEVER seen those panel connectors you added in PE.  I just sit here in awe at your attention to detail and the ability to bring that out in your models.  Rare talent you have!

Cheers,

Chris 

Hey Chris, great to hear from you.

Thanks for the kind words although I’m not so sure about the rare talent, LOL! I do like detail though and that’s one of the reasons why my builds take so long. :huh: 

I was trying to figure out how I could replicate the brackets that secured the forward cowling to the engine. I just happened to stumble on the Part photo etch fret in my box of stashed treasure and it had exactly what I needed. Sometimes I buy stuff thinking I might be able to use it in the future. This was, luckily, one of those times.

Cheers,

Wolf

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

So sorry to hear about the job Wolf.  Tiz indeed a changing world, but hoping too its temporary. With all the craziness, Im not even sure the NATs will happen this year. :( 

On the upside, the F4U is looking fabulous

Thank-you Brian,

It is indeed a changing world. We surely need to pray it’s temporary but I suspect it’s going to be like rolling thunder and it’ll last longer than we expect. If the Covid-19 infection rate is brought under control hopefully the Nats won’t get cancelled.

It’s good to be back on the Corsair.

Cheers,

Wolf

8 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hey Chris, great to hear from you.

Thanks for the kind words although I’m not so sure about the rare talent, LOL! I do like detail though and that’s one of the reasons why my builds take so long. :huh: 

I was trying to figure out how I could replicate the brackets that secured the forward cowling to the engine. I just happened to stumble on the Part photo etch fret in my box of stashed treasure and it had exactly what I needed. Sometimes I buy stuff thinking I might be able to use it in the future. This was, luckily, one of those times.

Cheers,

Wolf

See, there is the difference between you and me: I also see something and buy it thinking 'I bet I can use that in the future on xyz build I'll eventually do'. Then completely forget about it.  :doh: I have a small drawer FULL of bits and bobs of leftover parts and things I bought that I thought were interesting.  The Telford show is absolutely deadly for those of us with that terminal condition called 'gottahaveit-itis'.

I still buy those things, but now when I get home I stick them in the box of the intended build.  That helps!!

Be safe!

Last time I responded here was May 2018..could uv had a couple of kids by now LOL.:hmmm:

So glad to see you and you're incomparable detail work(love the ignition wires and power plant) and painting gracing these hallowed halls again.

Everything will work out...Welcome back Wolf.   :popcorn:

Edited by williamj

Folks, Thank-you so very much for your postings and I apologize for my lack of response buy I can assure you they're all very much appreciated!

I've been bouncing around a bit on my build and made an interesting (to me anyways) observation regarding some details. Tamiya's instructions indicate using certain parts for the -1A build but from references I've found I should be using alternate parts supplied in the kit but not mentioned in the instructions.

From my research, based on it's build number and photo evidence, my specific Corsair was an early F4U-1A and wasn't set up to use the Brewster bomb rack. Tamiya's instructions and parts call out are given so the rack can be used. When the bomb rack was installed the centre cooling flap on the underside of the fuselage, part R20, was notched out on the trailing edge to clear the rack. I used part B25 instead without the cut out. It also meant that there was no small arming panel on the right side of the IP coaming. The applicable hole needed to be filled. Instead of using parts R24 and R14 below the centre of the main wing spar, which accommodates the rear mounting for the bomb rack I should have used part B18. Unfortunately, I'm a great gluer, (that's a real word Isn't it?) and I'd already used R24 and R14 so corrective surgery was needed. Then there was the bomb rack's forward mounting point. Tamiya, thankfully, supply part B23 to fill the hole! 

Hopefully the photos below will show what I've been yammering about.

Cheers,

Wolf

Corsair-14.jpg

Corsair-15.jpg

Corsair-17.jpg

Corsair-18.jpg