Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

• 3 weeks later...

Wolf,

Your work is immaculate. I have a question regarding the Taurus resin screws. I really like their detail, but I've struggled to place and glue them properly. Any tips on the process you use from removing from the pour block to getting them in the right place on the model and getting them glued down. Certainly appeciate any insight. My optivisor and needlenose tweezer combination isn't quite getting me there.

John Cicchino

Thank-you Mike. I hope you meant " shrunk"! It's been a while since I've enjoyed my wife's Chilli. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Whoops, my bad brother. I don't think it will work well if stunk is stuck in a shrunk. We don't want to cause problems. So please, make sure to open extra windows to ventilate the room properly. As the combination of different gases and fumes (paint, glue, *cough* natural stuff) and the expansion can have serious problems. Especially, when dealing with subject that Spits Fire. Not good for your health :lol:

I blame it on the stupid auto wording/suggestion thing and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :)

Wolf,

Your work is immaculate. I have a question regarding the Taurus resin screws. I really like their detail, but I've struggled to place and glue them properly. Any tips on the process you use from removing from the pour block to getting them in the right place on the model and getting them glued down. Certainly appeciate any insight. My optivisor and needlenose tweezer combination isn't quite getting me there.

John Cicchino

Hi John,

The Taurus resin fasteners are incredible aren't they? I use a very fine razor saw to remove them from the pour block. The tricky part is to clean up the cut. For this I usually stick the tiny fastener to a piece of masking tape and do my best to clean up the cut edge with a fresh sharp #11 blade. Once cleaned up and the corresponding hole drilled I'll test fit them in place by using a small paint brush that I've wet with saliva. Yup, good ol' spit! It has enough surface tension to hold the tiny fastener without problems. I've also used a small piece of masking tape rolled inside out but it's harder to release the fastener once it's in it's hole. Once the fastener is in it's place a small drop of clear paint or future will permanently secure it. It definitely takes a bit of practice as the Taurus screws and nut and bolt details are very tiny indeed! Keep the optivisor handy but try and avoid the tweezers unless you want to launch your fastener off in to nirvana!

I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers,

Wolf

Whoops, my bad brother. I don't think it will work well if stunk is stuck in a shrunk. We don't want to cause problems. So please, make sure to open extra windows to ventilate the room properly. As the combination of different gases and fumes (paint, glue, *cough* natural stuff) and the expansion can have serious problems. Especially, when dealing with subject that Spits Fire. Not good for your health :lol:

I blame it on the stupid auto wording/suggestion thing and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it :)

LOL, Mike!

Yeah auto correct/suggestion can be a real stinker eh? :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Awe-inspiring work!  The engine was magnificent so I can't wait to see how the cockpit unfolds!

Thanks John!

The cockpit is well under way with the side consoles almost completed. I just have to fix up the oxygen regulator set up which is slightly too simplified. The rudder pedals need to be detailed, some plumbing added to the front cockpit bulkhead, and the individual subassemblies brought together. The cockpit fuselage side walls need to be finished as well and then I can finally close up the fuselage. I'm going to try and get the lion's share of that stuff done tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post soon!

Cheers,

Wolf

Really great detailing as always Wolf. I'm looking forward to more of your Progress.

Hopefully some warmer spring weather is on the the way for you up there in Canada.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank-you Peter.

Hopefully I'll have some pics to post within the next few days for another update. I just finished rebuilding the rather lumpy looking kit throttle quadrant. The majority of the interior is now finished but there's a bit of pipe work I have to add to the forward cockpit bulkhead. The rudder pedals need a bit of extra detail too. Tamiya's Corsair is truly a phenomenal kit!

As far as the spring weather is concerned, it actually been pretty nice lately. It's on the eastern end of the country where they've gotten the rotten stuff.  Unfortunately the warmer weather will start to keep me away from the bench with all the outside spring clean up.  <_<

Cheers,

Wolf 

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Hey Chuck,

It's been a while eh?

Yeah, the Corsair is coming along slowly. It's quite a complicated build with lots of detail and then I added BaracudaCals data placard decals and a bunch of scratch built detail but it goes together like a dream. Another update soon!

Cheers,

Wolf

I have most of the cockpit bits painted, decals applied, and ready for assembly. There's a few more pieces I have to scratch build, like the cockpit lights, before I can put everything together and close up the fuselage. One part that is a little "lumpy looking" straight out of the box is the throttle quadrant. With some help from Airscale's cockpit details and a razor saw I rebuilt it to look a lot more prototypical. The final touch was applying BarracudaCals stencils and a placard on the side from Airscale.

Throttle-1_zpszvgttfga.jpg

Throttle-2_zps2ddcs7ns.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf