Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

Wolf,

Welcome back!  Definitely missed your builds, notes and humor along the way.  Was rummaging around in my closet the other day and came across the box you sent me.  Looking forward to strapping in, I'll be next to Peter.   :popcorn:

Amazing start on the P&W - the detail is just striking.

Do you have a supply of the Model Master paints?  I'm finding them harder and hard to come by.

Best,  CHris

Aside from the aforementioned problems with paint buildup throwing off the tolerances of the cowling parts, i had really no fit problems with the model.

Some people complained of fit issues with the windscreen, but i suspect this is from very minor misalignment of the fuselage halves when gluing them together. As everyone knows i built 2 so far and hadn't had any problems in that area. Also had no problems mating the wing center section to the fuselage.

There are some places where there are gaps, but i believe Tamiya put them there on purpose: There is a .005-.010 gap along the wing joint on the upper surfaces but its symmetrical on both sides. The boot cowl which goes on the fuselage front after installing the firewall has a gap but again i believe its an intentionally engineered panel line.

There are some who have built the model and had to butcher the outer wing spars in order to make the wings fit. This comes from not following the instructions; they clearly state that the wing sleeves should NOT be glued in place when assembling the wing; merely laid in place, with the wing being built up around them. I had no issues with the first 2 i built, and the wings on Corsair Number 3 slide together effortlessly as well.

Finally, the landing gear struts have a weak area: The bottom of the upper strut, near the connection with the upper part of the torque link. Using the kit supplied wire inserts is very important. Also, keeping the pin on the top of the strut free of paint buildup is critical to getting the strut in the socket. The tolerances are *that* tight. The main gear likes to go in; it doesn't like to be pulled back out.

Just a Public Service Announcement.

-d-

As i have stated in my WIP , all problems i encountered were my own fault, not the kit. Tolerances really are that tight. It is a very well designed kit....Harv

Thanks for checkin' in Bill! You seriously think that this 'ill be finished in time for Bonsor? Plus, if you bring any of your yellow winged wonders no one is going to have a chance!  You've got to get back to some WIP posts as well instead of doing buddy builds with Martin on the side. I'm missing your stuff my friend.

Cheers,

Wolf

Well !! ......You want fries with that?      Ok.  I will post two WIP this coming week just for you. F11C-2 and a pretty little Lukgraph F7C-1 Seahawk.  ya happy?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

The big ol' Pratt & Whitney PW R-2800-8W is done. I added the last of the oil pipes this morning and afterwards gave the whole assembly a coat of Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear decanted from their spray can. All the fasteners for the air deflector shields where covered with small silver decal dots and the larger slotted head screws were added from photo-etch screw heads from Model Car Garage. The spark plug leads were made from 0.15 lead wire and painted with Aeromaster enamel RLM 79 Sand Gelb. I initially tried painting the leads after installation but that proved more trouble than it was worth. I found that if I painted lengths of the lead wire beforehand it was much easier to work with and there was surprisingly little paint flaking as I manipulated the wire in to place. I only need to figure out how the linkage connects to the propeller governor and that'll be the last detail I'll add to this assembly.

Cheers,

Wolf

Corsair-7_zpswmidip0x.jpg

Corsair-8_zpsoopknwea.jpg

Corsair-9_zpsblvmie8g.jpg

Corsair-10_zpsdwoeclk4.jpg

Ha. My Corsair is over a year and a half. My 38 was 6 yrs. No my friend, you cant slow me down any more. LOL.....Harv

Nothing wrong with your building being slower than Tamiya's release schedule!

OK everyone, let's be clear on something here. Wolf is building a 1/32 scale engine. Without your glasses on, you will not be able to see half of the details he has put into it.

Wolf, I am  always stunned and amazed how you can add such fine details and produce such a crisp and beautiful result. The whole engine looks "right" - looking forward to the rest of this build.