1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

• 2 weeks later...

A little more work has been done around the nose section of the big BUFF - I am determined to get this as 'right' as possible as the nose area is so distinctive on the later models of B-52. 

I've done a little more remedial sanding and added in the missing panel lines. I then added the raised ribbing on the radome from Evergreen, and have also made and added the ejection hatches above the positions of the rear crew members from plastic card:

51118254437_8d9be463df_b.jpg

Next came a coat of primer to blend it all in:

51118577174_dd72234505_b.jpg

51118825051_e00eb8fd6b_b.jpg

I think that's about as good as I'm going to get it - passable from a few feet away!

That's all for now,

Tom

That looks awesome Tom.  I just read an article where the Air force is going to replace the current engine B-52 fleet and re-engine them for an additional 30-50 year service life.  A 100 year bomber service life is proposed by the USAF command.   A RR and American participation effort on the engine  The refueling aspect will be a key factor and not require the B-52's to refuel on long missions because of the new tech engines being used.  Crazy to think about this aircraft in a service life of 100 years.  

Fantastic efforts going on here.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, Troy Molitor said:

That looks awesome Tom.  I just read an article where the Air force is going to replace the current engine B-52 fleet and re-engine them for an additional 30-50 year service life.  A 100 year bomber service life is proposed by the USAF command.   A RR and American participation effort on the engine  The refueling aspect will be a key factor and not require the B-52's to refuel on long missions because of the new tech engines being used.  Crazy to think about this aircraft in a service life of 100 years.  

Fantastic efforts going on here.  

It really is amazing - as you say a service life of 100 years is just phenomenal. I read a similar article and it used the comparison of the Sopwith Camel still being in frontline service in 2020. When you see that kind of perspective, it's even more impressive.

I have been having a little play with the B-52's flaps of late, although bench-time has been limited due to work which has a habit of getting in the way. 

I thought I'd start with the easiest flap and therefore have made the left outboard flap first from plastic card. They're actually a lot more complex that I had first realised and there are numerous cut outs and panels present - I haven't tried to replicate every last detail but this will be a good starting point:

51174762460_1be60c8eff_b.jpg

When on the wing, this looks the part and once primed and in grey I think will do the job nicely:

51174459964_28119bf8ea_b.jpg

I'll complete the right outboard one next - this should be relatively easy as it's just a mirror image of this one - and then I'll need to tackle the more complex inboard flaps.

Best regards to all,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Since I last updated you on any progress I have completed the remaining three flaps, with plastic card and Evergreen being the medium of choice:

51202550813_365ccb2553_b.jpg

As you can see, 1/48th B-52 flaps are on the large side:

51203413765_c35ec9d793_b.jpg

With the flaps completed, they were installed on the previously made runners in the wing:

51202550778_6d294ef1fa_b.jpg

Considering these were all made by my own fair hand, I'm quite pleased with how they look:

51203413775_1336e563c2_b.jpg

Even Molly came and cast her critical eye over the situation - although to be fair she didn't seem that impressed!

51202349881_f7066796ea_b.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

2 hours ago, chrish said:

Beautiful work, as always!

I can understand the cat not being impressed, how’s she gonna knock that off the table with a paw? She may sit on a wing though so, I’d watch for that.

very good progress! 

She very rarely shows any interest in my models, thankfully, but any feline-related damage would result in 8 of her 9 lives being swiftly wiped out!

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Awesome work Tom! 

Molly sure looks like a sweetheart, but then again it is her house. :lol:

I'm sure she assumes you are just there to keep the feeding and pettings up.

Molly is indeed a lovely kitty - she certainly rules the roost and let's us know when us pesky humans disrupt her day!