1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

On 9/19/2020 at 7:48 PM, Michael931080 said:

Hi Tom,

Really suffering BUFF withdraw over here!!!

Any news or updates on this beauty??

Thanks and Keep Well!

Unfortunately not - my wife and I had a second baby at the end of June so modelling time has taken a massive hit. In fact I've barely touched a model in a couple of months now, what with the new addition and work being crazy.

I'm hoping things well begin to settle down a little and then I can back for it.

Thanks for checking in though - appreciated!

Tom

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Unfortunately not - my wife and I had a second baby at the end of June so modelling time has taken a massive hit. In fact I've barely touched a model in a couple of months now, what with the new addition and work being crazy.

I'm hoping things well begin to settle down a little and then I can back for it.

Thanks for checking in though - appreciated!

Tom

Hi Tom,  CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your second child!:clap2::thumbsup:

Outstanding to hear the news! 

Totally understandable about the lack of bench time, as you are working 24/7 on the new 1 to 1 scratchbuilt kit! ;);)

Have a great time with both of the kids now!

All the best and looking forward to seeing some pics of you, the wife and the kids man handling the BUFF sometime!

• 2 months later...

Morning guys and gals.

Not the most exciting of updates but a little progress on the landing gear. The undercarriage legs come in two sections: the upper retraction struts and the lower main legs. Initially I had stuck these with ordinary superglue but it didn't give a strong enough join - I needed something more industrial! So it was out with my trusty Araldite and we now have four undercarriage legs for further detailing:

Main gear

So... where's the Evergreen..?

Tom

• 3 months later...

Time for a long over-due update on this build which has had some attention of late...

The landing gear has been painted and installed:

DSC_0069

DSC_0072

DSC_0073

DSC_0075

I still need to add some of the retraction struts, but these will be done at a later date.

DSC_0085

DSC_0084

I've also made a start on the flight deck painting. It's had its first coat of grey, and I've also sprayed the inside of the cockpit transparency having masked off the windows beforehand. I've also scratched the instrument panel and coaming ready for further detailing later:

DSC_0077

DSC_0082

DSC_0080

I see lots of interior detailing in my immediate future...

Until next time,

Tom

• 1 month later...

Evening guys and gals,

More progress on the mammoth B-52 project to update you on. I've been beavering away on the cockpit and flight deck of late and have built a basic interior using the Sanger seats with a few mods. I've also used the Sanger control columns even though they were, in my humble opinion, a little oversized:

51102786416_003ea01227_b.jpg

51102887392_9a5c0b1e71_b.jpg

There's scope to add more detail here but life is too short to waste time on making things that'll never be seen!

I've made and added the escape hatches for the ejector seats above the pilots:

51102860459_fc3c6e26ea_b.jpg

And then the canopy was protected whilst some filler was added to blend everything in:

51102887517_80ba44d2a2_b.jpg

With the filler dry everything was sanded and blended in:

51102786436_19aee94e36_b.jpg

I'm quite pleased with that - the blackout curtains made from kitchen foil look the part, too!

51102860079_669e741975_b.jpg

As I'm making this as a late 1990's to early 2000's machine, I've also made and added the ALQ-155 fairing on the nose from Milliput - these have since been removed on current BUFFS due to various avionics upgrades. 

51103023248_751cf6cd1d_b.jpg

There's a little more sanding and some scribing to be done around this area, but I'm almost there with the forward fuselage now. Happy days.

Tom