1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

• 2 weeks later...

Not much building to report on (in fact none at all since the last update!) but these arrived from HPH over the festive period:

49335065827_890afdfcf2_z.jpgIMG_1738 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

They are from their recent 1/48th release, and they agreed to sell me a set of decals as a standalone purchase. I don't have much faith in the Sanger decals, so hopefully these will be spot on when the time comes. Disappointingly, there are no squadron badges or nose art provided, only white backgrounds. I've contacted HPH about this but am yet to receive any response... if the worst happens I can probably use the Sanger items over the white backgrounds - we'll see!

Tom

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all...

It's been a while since an update on this monster - work and a lack of mojo conspiring against any significant progress. However, I have made some in-roads into the cockpit transparencies, which are vital in capturing the look of the BUFF.

You only get one canopy with the kit so there's no room for error - definitely a case of measure thrice and cut once. When the cockpit glazing had been trimmed to the correct shape, it became apparent that it was quite significantly wider than the fuselage. This is because as the fuselage immediately below the cockpit curves inwards too much as you move up to the base of the flghtdeck windows, and therefore is too narrow for the cockpit to sit on correctly. 

The solution was to make a plasticard 'base' which matched the shape of the bottom area of the transparencies. This was then mounted on the fuselage where the glazing will sit, and the difference in space built up with Milliput and blended to shape. This has now corrected the shape of the fuselage sides, as well as making the cockpit more or less a drop-fit:

49506587306_55d0cb8aea_z.jpgDSC_0305 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The cockpit windows have been marked out with masking tape, and are not 100% correct yet but have given a good approximation:

49506586606_9ffce6ffb3_z.jpgDSC_0315 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

49506586451_e1253dc938_z.jpgDSC_0316 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

When compared to the original:

49506077738_0edb5abf74_z.jpgNose on view by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I think I'm not too far off:

49506806862_2a88d1498c_z.jpgDSC_0309 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A bit more fettling ahead yet, but progress is progress, no matter how small...

Tom  

Half term is upon us so a bit of bench-time this afternoon.

I've begun making the basic cockpit structure - the rear bulkhead was made from plastic card along with the bases for the side consoles:

49535022927_791b8397c0_z.jpgIMG_E1803 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The other smaller structural parts were made using Evergreen strip of various thicknesses:

49535022652_e9feffac80_z.jpgIMG_E1804 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Obviously there's lots more to add, and as I hate making and painting cockpits this will be a case of picking it up and putting it down as and when the mood takes.

Until next time,

Tom

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

It looks very good.  Comparing to the reference photos, the nose looks a bit blunt though?  The reference photo nose looks a bit more pointed and narrower. Might just be a trick of the photos though.

Matt 

Hi Matt,

The same thought has crossed my mind too, but the nose I’ve made follows my plans perfectly so I think it must be the angle of the photo playing tricks.

All the best,

Tom

54 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

whyfore you not go? 

Numerous reasons actually... I’ve recently taken on a new role at work (I’m now head of section) and therefore it’s more difficult to take the Friday off work to travel up. Telford is a good 3/4hr drive from me and it would mean a very early start on the Saturday, which after a week at work, I really don’t fancy. 

My wife and I are also expecting a second child this summer and as she’s self-employed that means no income when she finishes for her maternity leave - therefore funds will be strictly limited.

Also, I’ve been to Telford every year since it moved there and to be totally honest I just fancy a break from it. 

Will no doubt return in 2021 - hopefully with the BUFF finished and ready to show off!

Tom