1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

34 minutes ago, marauderdriver said:

Not sure if any of these help at this point.

Wow, talk about a worn paint job! Very helpful in many senses. 

Since you're in Bossier City I assume the shots are at Barksdale.  Is 1007 in current service or out for surface maintenance?

Cheers,

D.B. (approx133 mi west of Barksdale AFB)

We are practically neighbor's.  1007 is Ghost Rider, the first B-52 to be returned to the active fleet

from the "Boneyard" in Az. She was flown here in late 2015 to replace the B-52 behind her due

to an oxygen system fire in the cockpit. After they transferred the lower deck equipment she went

to Tulsa for upgrades and repaint. She is at Minot due to the fact she was on loan to the test

squadron here hen the fireoccurred. That is 7 years in the desert sun except where the protective

sealer was located. We have another one from the boneyard here now to replace the one lost on Guam

from an aborted take-off brake fire. I haven't been able to get pics of her yet.

Edited by marauderdriver

@marauderdriver those pics are epic! Ghost Rider sure would make an interesting model if I was to paint it as in your pictures - would certainly bring a bit of life to an otherwise rather drab all-grey scheme...

I also see the ‘bump’ on the top of the nose radome immediately in front of the windscreen is absent on current Buffs - at least that’ll save me some scratch work if I go for a post-2018 airframe. 

Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, marauderdriver said:

@tomprobert The nose art is pretty simple and have closer-up pics from nose to tail, with 007 tail number.

I thought the same thing except 1/144 or 1/72 scale. would be unique.dNiQvTJ.jpglVh3lyQ.jpg

52 minutes ago, marauderdriver said:

c4cuZVw.jpgthe ECM antenna is different than your model also.

Nice pics of “Ghost Rider” !!  It’s great to see this was the first of two regenerated BUFF’S from AMARG.  Tom your build is really coming along nicely now!  The end of the road is in sight would you say?

Keep us updated!

Michael

15 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Tom your build is really coming along nicely now!  The end of the road is in sight would you say?

Keep us updated!

Michael

Hi Michael,

I feel very pleased with my recent progress and having some extended time at the bench means I’m really getting stuck into this model. 

I have definitely broken the back of it now with the majority of the main construction done - just the wing tanks and stabs to do which, all being well, shouldn’t be too much of a challenge. 

There’s still many hours of graft ahead though - the flightdeck and cockpit being the main obstacle. But then there’s the landing gear, aerial fit, vortex generators, final scribing and then the paint job. I have a deadline of January to get this done which I’m confident of achieving, but that’s conditional on the mojo...

I have got a couple of other run of the mill projects on the go to give me a break from this when needed - I’m currently fondling Monogram’s classic B-36 for a change of scenery this evening!

The BUFF has had some more work done on the engines - I've sanded and shaped the home-made upper, over-wing parts of the pylons and all look good under some primer:

48299957042_427295b61c_z.jpgDSC_0186 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48299843801_9c6db4499e_z.jpgDSC_0187 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48299955847_54d378c710_z.jpgDSC_0190 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Shaping the pylons on the underside was a lot more tricky as they are all molded identical, but of course the inner pylons have a very different shape due to the change in shape as you travel down the length of the wing:

48299954127_48cbeccb63_z.jpgDSC_0201 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also finished detailing the rear of the bypass sections:

48299842081_f2386bf856_z.jpgDSC_0195 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48299841776_b94fb046c4_z.jpgDSC_0199 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It was a bit of a faff opening these up but worth the effort.

And we now have something really taking on the form of the venerable BUFF:

48299844721_bc7763b041_z.jpgDSC_0205 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

48299955312_b1a1446e85_z.jpgDSC_0192 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As you can see, however, the tail feathers are conspicuous by their absence... better get sanding!

Until next time,

Tom

On 7/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, rigor said:

Looking good tom love watching you work your magic on theses vaC kits 

On 7/18/2019 at 2:29 AM, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely, lovely stuff Tom

6 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

The Buff is huge, huuuuuge.  Love it.  

Cheers, gents. 

I’ve got the stabilisers sanded, sparred and on the model, as well as the wing tanks. I’m currently in the process of making the joints good - a picture update soon. 

All the best,

Tom