1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

5 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Incredible progress Tom, you’re really making good headway on this now!

Cheers, Michael. Making the most of my Easter Holidays with no books to mark and lessons to plan. The dream will soon be over though as I return to school on Tuesday... progress will no doubt grind to a halt until the summer

The last few sessions at the bench have focused on the vertical stabiliser. After the parts were removed from the backing sheet and sanded to the correct depth, I set about adding some internal bracing using 1mm plastic card. I left these protruding from the base, as these extensions will be inserted into the fuselage as an anchor. I also opened up and boxed in the distinctive intake on the leading edge of the fin:

33782661538_dbeb64e7d6_z.jpgIMG_0986 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

After careful consultation of plans, I opened up two slots on the fuselage top so that the fin anchor points could slide into place:

46936057724_c6587f3763_z.jpgIMG_0991 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And hey presto - a fin that fits!

40693534063_b29f74cbb1_z.jpgIMG_0989 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There'll be a quick lick of filler needed around the base, but the fit is excellent.

This will probably be the last update for a while as I return to teaching on Tuesday - books to mark and lessons to plan will mean a lot less time at the bench... :(

Tom

21 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

WOW!  What an incredible series of updates Tom, and now I'm sadden to hear it will slow down for a while.  This has been a real joy and inspiration to watch these last few days.

I truly hope you can get back to this soon.

Michael

Many thanks, Michael. 

Hopefully I’ll still be able to get some building done, it’ll just be a lot slower due to work commitments. Still, the summer hols are only 12 school weeks away...:)

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

Time for a BUFF update....

With the school term being in full swing time at the bench has been a little limited, but the wings are now on the model is really starting to take shape. The spars I'd spent hours making previously meant the winds simply slid over them and resulted in a very solid union with the fuselage. The fit wasn't too bad, but in true vacform style the wing roots on the fuselage were shorter in length than the wings themselves, so there was a lot of building up and shaping with Milliput to level things out:

33998240358_47323ae5da_z.jpgIMG_1036 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Once under a quick lick of paint, the joins look pretty good and capture the shape of the real aircraft quite nicely:

33998239318_22bd0783c9_z.jpgIMG_1053 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

33998239628_437b4d2b43_z.jpgIMG_1051 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

We've now got something starting to resemble Boeing's finest:

33998240148_1da5b0a961_z.jpgIMG_1047 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

33998239838_9d5f08c7c5_z.jpgIMG_1049 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As a size-reality check... that's a 1/24th Harrier in the final stages:

33998240768_0b67ff8afc_z.jpgIMG_1055 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time,

Tom

Afternoon guys and gals - and many thanks for the kind words as they certainly help with motivation :)

A little more progress on the B-52 to report...

With the majority of the structural work now done and the wings attached and blended to the fuselage, I thought it a good time to pay some attention to the surface details and in particular the panel lines of the model. The panel lines are rather hit and miss (as is often the case with vacforms) so I've decided that those on the upper wing surfaces are just about passable, but those on the lowers are very wide, not always straight and generally too soft. In fact, I prefer vacs like this to be a blank-canvass so the modeller can scribe their own surface details, but in this case it's working with what I've got.

It's a lovely sunny day here in Kent (with numerous Spitfires about coming and going from Biggin Hill just up the road) so as well as doing a little BBQing I thought I'd have a go at filling the panel lines outside on the patio:

47986231777_1d5c8b13b2_z.jpgIMG_1068 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

P-38 automotive filler is the filler of choice for this, as there was an extensive area to be filled:

47986278556_1bb6e448f3_z.jpgIMG_1075 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The upper panel lines are ok so I've added the ones lost due to re-profiling of the wing roots - we'll see how they look under a coat of primer in due course:

47986279671_333fb5bc4c_z.jpgIMG_1076 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As it promises to be a lovely evening I think I'll get the sandpaper out... again.

Until next time,

Tom

On 6/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow! I really love the way the top center panel lines look. It's nice to use dark primer with light/white plastic underneath.....makes it really makes it easy to see where things are.

They didn’t come out too bad - the proof will be in the pudding when it’s been primed. I’m hoping to avoid having to fill and rescribe the whole model but we’ll have to see. 

21 hours ago, Squizzy said:

What a Beast of a model, it must be very hard to work on due to its size, but you're doing an excellent job. I'm looking forward to seeing more. 

Handling it is not easy, that’s why it’s easier to work on it outside. The table lamp on my workbench quivers in fear every time this appears!

Edited by tomprobert
Typos