1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

I've been busy making lots of bulkheads to strengthen the fuselage - they were made from 1mm plastic card which provides a good level of rigidity:

42887758840_f6e9a7f142_z.jpgDSC_0291 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There's still a few more to add, but the majority are done and in place now.

With the internal structure there, the fit of the fuselage is not bad despite its enormous size:

44697025491_3aab7f2de3_z.jpgDSC_0288 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I have stumbled across a problem with the port-side undercarriage bays though - they are positioned incorrectly and need moving back. This will enable the main gear legs to be directly opposite each other as the real thing:

43979590484_4d428f48aa_z.jpgDSC_0290 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Speaking of the landing gear, are the bays zinc chromate or white on the current -H models?

Until next time,

Tom

13 hours ago, marauderdriver said:

They are white, mostly....they sprayed white over the chromate and it shows thru in some areas.

Excellent info - many thanks!

6 hours ago, Michael931080 said:

Geez Tom, I think you might have all the proper bulkheads in place compared to the real BUFF!

You are really making steady progress on it now.  Are you going to open the cockpit or just black out the windows?

The cockpit will be opened up and the front section fully detailed. Sanger provide a lovely canopy section so I’m hoping at least some of my handiwork will be visible. 

4 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

I’m sure you know exactly what you’re doing and I’m no B52 expert but the undercarriage are a bit ‘different’...I don’t think they go up into symmetrically opposite wheel bays from this video..??33v16vs.jpg

The bays are not opposite as the image shows, but the legs themselves are connected to a central pivot point within the bay. The left gear rotates forward and the right backwards on this pivot.

The problem with the kit is the fact the bays are positioned in such a way that the legs could not share the same pivot point, hence I’m having to move the left ones back. Fun times!

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Very interesting build so far - I am just amazed at how you can get the fuselage cross section and wing taper cut so accurately - what’s the secret to doing that so well?

Cheers

Alan

It just a case of using a profile gauge, measuring thrice and cutting once. There's no real secret to it - and you should see the amount of muck-ups I make!!

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 7:44 PM, Michael931080 said:

Hi Tom,

Any progress updates on the BUFF?

I’ve not done anything on this lately. I’ve got as far as making the undercarriage bays but ran into trouble trying to get the landing gear in position. I’m having a break for a while whilst I do some head-scratching...

Tom