1/32 Revell Harrier

Jay Pare

Guest The Southern Bandit

TTIUWP????

I am lost! Even with the response I cannot figure out this anagram. 

Please explain.

I had to go google it, it means ... This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures  :)

As regards pics, here is a very old pic of me aged about 14 sitting inside a Harrier GR1 (I think its a GR1?) my late Dad worked with the early Harriers at West Germany RAF Wildenrath in the early to mid 70's, sometimes I would get to go on the base and see them all up close in the hanger, crash recovered ones too ... and there were lots of those, LOL, witnessed from a windowed sound proof booth a twin seater chain tethered to the ground with ducting underneath doing hover tests ... will always remember that, me and my schoolmate friend got to sit in that Harrier as it was towed back to the hanger after its tests.

I really don't know what happened to this photo and why it got ruined over the passage of time?, I have hardly any old pics from those days but most of them survived much better than this one, rescued it from my sisters collection some time ago and she really does not look after such things well and wonder if it could be professionally restored as much as possible, there used to be a shop in my town offering a service like this but they closed a long time ago ... not sure if anything can be done with it to be honest though?

I really would love a new tool GR1 Harrier kit though, probably more than anything, so many old fond memory's of the early Harriers.

15vKdt6.jpg

Not to mention that the Airfix kit is about six generations behind modern tech and molding. It needs a WHOLE LOT of work to bring up to standard

Matt 

Agreed, the Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR-1 its first release is really old now, had one at time of me (about 14 years old) in pic in West Germany from early to mid 70's, me and my pal both got one at same time as they were released, a lot of work but a good bare canvas build if you are a really skilled modeller perhaps ... or even if you just want a large model that looks like a GR-1 Harrier, and dont look at the empty wheel wells, the sparse engine, the simple cockpit and seat ... us Harrier Buffs do not have a lot of choice it seems though for large scale, we have the 1/32 Trumpeter GR-7 and American AV versions and they have their own glaring faults ... I have the Trumpy 1/32 GR-7 kit and was dismayed to find it a B team release and will need a lot of correction :( We have the old Revell Harrier too of course, pretty sure I built one as a kid, but that would have been before we got posted to Germany for my dads RAF tour ... so another really old kit that needs major surgery I'm not up to or capable of :)

The Harrier is a special Aircraft for me in many ways, its a shame there is no near as dammit OOB large scale Harrier for us lesser skilled correctional modellers :)

Trumpeter ... I dunno, when they get it right they really do produce great kits, Dauntless  <----- an A team kit for sure, but surely its just as easy to get it right as wrong the first time? but as it stands the market is now littered with dozens of examples of inaccurate kit types and possibly and it seems, no other manufacture will go there ... because Trumpeter have one out and they would not maximise on sales ... its a crazy situation.

Good news for the AM correction cottage industry guys though when Trumpeter do get it wrong though :)

Im currently cobbling together the Trumpeter GR7 which I have to say, goes together quite well.

A few years ago I purchased a resin upgrade set popped out by Piero De Santis which corrects the nose, provides Bol rails frog eyes and outrigger wheel frames. I have to say it does make a difference to the base model and it looks like a Harrier dspite the wing issues.

I do have to say though I think we are overdue a 1/32 1st gen harrier of either the GR or Sea Harrier flavour. I personally would love to see a FRS 2 in my collection. 

Okay, FAA fest: two FRS.1, a T-something Harrier too, Sea Vixen, Scimitar, brace of F-4Ks, S.2 Bucc ~ and another margarita with the rim dipped in sea salt + a pint of Guinness.

Tony

Remember my earlier 14 year old kid in a RAF Harrier GR1 pic in this thread, passed it on to a lass on FB who knows me, she joked she would have a look at it and she did over her weekend, still a WIP obviously but amazed at results so far, my original picture was pretty much destroyed and not much to work with!

1zbW41e.jpg