tjtx

VMA-211 A-4E

Guest Martinnfb

Excellent choice of subject Tony, also thank You for sharing your family history ,what a fascinating saga of aviation history that is imbedded within. I will follow with excitement and interest.

Cheers

Martin

I was thinking, "hmmm, this build isn't too screwed up by Trumpeter". Well, I found the first clear trumpeter "ism". The canopy and windscreen don't seem to remotely fit. I was test fitting everything and the fuselage is wider than the canopy and windscreen. I'm using Trumpeter's cockpit so I haven't widened anything....

In the meantime, the cockpit is almost wrapped up.

20180203_141003-L.jpg

Edited by tjtx

Has anyone used the Fisher drop tanks before? I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach them to the wing pylons. I'm prepping them slowly as I battle the intakes, and can't find a great photo of the top tank mounts and how best to attach them.

I recommend pining them to rhe pylon.....Harv

I recommend pining them to rhe pylon.....Harv

I was pondering that too Harvey. Get some small brass rod and drill out the holes.

Or stiff wire. Doesn't need to be thick......Harv :popcorn:

Here is how the real tank looks when attached to the pylon:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-4/images/nasm_a-4_20.jpg

in between the pylon swaybraces are the lugs of the external tank, and further aft (to the right) are the fuel probe, air probe and electrical receptacles. As mentioned you could use wire or round styrene rod, i would drill a 1mm hole in a pylon and tank/store and then use a length of 1mm styrene rod and would get a tight fit most times. 

Jari

Our house is completely a mess right now, and my office is full of furniture, but I climbed into my desk chair and built up the wings this morning:

20180209_110330-L.jpg

I'm still working on the intakes trying to get them smooth. I am making progress, just very slowly. I can't airbrush right now, so I'm stalled on the engine and closing the fuselage till next weekend when our house should be in 1 piece again.

After far to many hours I gave up on the intakes. No matter what I tried i just couldn't get them looking right. I'm just not at that skill level yet. So, intake plugs it is:

20180212_200042-L.jpg