tjtx

VMA-211 A-4E

I decided I needed a small break from wood and wires, so I pulled out my recently acquired A-4 and decided to join in. The A-4 will always be one of my favorite aircraft so I'm quite excited about this build. Ive ordered most of the items I'll need including: Brassin MERs and Mk. 82s, Fisher 300 gallon drop tanks and Zuni pods, Eduard interior photo etch, AMS resin wheels and ejection seat, and SAC nose gear. I went with SAC because it's all I could find and I want to avoid the molded together nose gear strut/wheel. I will see how I tackle that when the time comes.

20180127_092646-L.jpg

20180127_092836-L.jpg

I'm planning this scheme; with Zunis outboard, 300 gallon tanks inboard, and a MER with Mk. 82s on the centerline.

20180127_092927-L.jpg

I sat down last night and started removing and cleaning some bigger pieces. The fit looks ok, with some cleaning needed on the attachment surfaces.

20180127_091856-L.jpg

The biggest thing I need to contemplate is joining the the forward and rear fuselage halves. Do I build them separately then join, or join front and back sides, then put the two halves together?

Edited by tjtx

Looking forward to it !.....Harv :popcorn:

Can't remember if I did, and my build thread didn't show that part. It was a short thread, that usually means the build was trouble free. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add reinforcements, better safe than sorry...

Don

I've spent the morning starting to work on closing the open panels. I felt it would be easier before joining the fuselage halves. So far, no filler and I'm quite happy with it. I'll go back in with some Mr Surfacer, clean that up, then rescribe.

20180127_132157-L.jpg

Wow!! A jet!!

Dan

I used to build Jet's in 1/48, then I found 1/32 and then someone went and got me hooked on Wingnut kits. I've been eyeing a few 1/32 jets recently and decided to pull the trigger on the A-4 Thanks to LSP_PAUL helping me out. I do love the A-4 since it has some family history. My father flew A-4s for a bit so it's near and dear to my heart. Hers the family photos, with 3 generations of aviators:

20180127_133745-L.jpg

Grandfather, Father, then yours truly.

Hey Tony

A double build?

Two hands up *clap*

I remember i built the M a few years back i joined front to back then both halves. I don't remember having put shims to reinforce.

Thierry Laurent has a tweak list on LSP if you want to accuratize the skyhawk, if accuratize is even a word!

Cool family history you guys all fly lol. The last photo is a falcon i think a 50 no?

I flew the 900 EX EASy for 6 years. A real hot rod!

Model on!

Karim

Thanks Karim! Yup, that's a 50 with the upgrade to basically make it an EX. I've done sea level to 41,000 in slightly under 14 minutes in it. The AOA decals have a sheet that shoes needed improvements to the kit. I won't perform major surgery, but I have removed a static vent, filled an air inlet, removed the right AOA sensor, and still have a few house cleaning items on the external sections.

'Here's the family photos, with 3 generations of aviators:
20180127_133745-L.jpg
Grandfather, Father, then yours truly.'

Good eyesight genes in that family.  Thank you for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

I worked on the back end tonight. The airbrakes fit relatively well all things considered. A little clean up and I'm happy. I also filled in the vent on the right side as it's only present on the left. I'm hoping to apply a primer coat tomorrow then look at rescribing the access panels on the nose.

20180129_182516-L.jpg

More body work today. I've rescribed the nose panels, and I'm mostly happy with them. I'm not the best scriber so I'll take it.

20180131_145143-L.jpg

I also joined the tails to the forward fuselage. The join seems fairly clean and a bit of touch up should leave a clean look.

20180131_162103-L.jpg