Question: canopy frames

Hi all,

I'm working on a vac formed canopy, but I think the framing is not enough defined. So I'm looking for methods to achieve a better definition. The framing needs to withstand painting and masking.

Here's what I can think of:

- plastic strips: in my opinion to thick even at 0.25 mm (the thinnest i have seen so far)

- using bare metal foil: haven't used this product but I think it won't hold paint very well?

- using masking tape: finish after painting a bit rough and I'm not sure if it will stick over time. Maybe with a touch of superglue at the edges?

All methods described have there pros and cons, but none is the best. Is there another (better method) that I missed?

Cheers, Wouter

Hi wouter

If you like photoetch look at www.pktinyland.tk

They have various stringers in 1:48 and 1:32. I have most of Their stuff and can send you some samples if you like.

Happy modelling

Cheers

Mikkel

Edited by Mebo

You're on the right track trying tape, etc. but you mentioned thickness.

I use clear decal film. Paint an area of the sheet big enough to cut proper sized strips

with same paint you use on build of kit (double bonus as it will match) but do a couple paint layers.

That way you can control how thick you prefer. Do this about the time you will apply the decal.

That way the paint is flexible. Measure and cut, soak decal, then apply to canopy. Use whatever decal

solvents, etc. final steps.  HTH

I was looking at some scratch built canopies the other night on scale navy stuff's Facebook page and he uses adhesive backed copper for canopy frames.

It's looks very good and holds the paint well. It's thinner than plastic strips (and easy to apply) but thicker than bare metal foil. I found some online at amazon.

Other than that option the painted decal film sounds like it might work well too.

And what about just masking it and spray a good coat of primer? The canopy framings are not always very raised, so the few 1/10th mm of a primer/paint coat may be enough in scale?

However it would be a good idea to slightly sand that primer job before removing the masks to break the coat between the framing and the masking tape. Otherwise when you remove the masking tape, if the primer coat is too brittle it can break some tiny chips.

Just for the example, that's how i got the kind of pentagone here in the middle (primed in a lighter grey) : 

o1Qqm7x.jpg

Edited by Zero77

I tried bare metal foil on canopy frames before, it did not want to stick to the vaccuform canopy at all. I came across another great pinstriping tape for RC planes, it sticks permanently, is fuel (solvent resistant), and is thinner than masking tape. I cant remember the name of it, but I bought rolls in a few different colors. it has just enough thickness to look correct on 1.32 aircraft. I was going to use this on my vac MIG-15 canopy.

Actually I have the same question, and I think I will try 'phixer's clear decal paper solution first.

Mine are the AM set for the HC 1/48th Do-17Z, since it is too obvious that the kit's canopy is "not right".