Airbrushes

The Madhatter

Fine airbrush, not worse than HP-BH. If someone tells you otherwise its probably a lie or he doesn't know how to spray:

I think the sentence “he doesn't know how to spray†is a bit too harsh in my honest opinion. We all have our preferences. No doubt i would recommend the sparmax above but it just tickled me reading this above. Nothing personal!

K

I think the sentence “he doesn't know how to spray†is a bit too harsh in my honest opinion. We all have our preferences. No doubt i would recommend the sparmax above but it just tickled me reading this above. Nothing personal!

K

Agreed. That is much more opinion that any kind of fact. I've sprayed both, and while comparable, I find the HP feels better in my hand for whatever reason; and I'm not lying and do know how to spray. Its all more opinion and what works best for the individual modeler.  

Sorry, my bad.

What I meant is: if someone tells you that Sparmax is worse then he is lying. 

Let me explain: Both are decent airbrushes. Not the best, but very good. However, some people tend to neglect the companies that are different from H&S and Iwata and that is completely wrong perception. So, if someone says that it is worse - that is actually false info. 

Even though it might not feel comfortable for some - as Out2gtcha likes Iwata better - I doubt that person who knows how to spray would even begin to think to categorize Sparmax as worse than anything.

Would you Out2gtcha? I think not. Not if you know your way around airbrushing.

Both airbrushes are in the same class. Price-wise different, but with similar capabilities. There is hardly a thing that Iwata is capable of and that Sparmax is not - thus either someone would lie to you, or he is not capable of using the Sparmax correctly. That is about the specific models mentioned of course.

I hope that clears the clouds here.

Edited by Eagle Driver

I like my Iwata TRN1. It sprays my Mr. Color paints nice, it's pretty easy to clean, and it has a pistol grip. Basically a miniature automotive paint gun.

I watched a YT review few months ago. In Russian if I remember correctly. Iwata by Neo TRN is practically Sparmax GP. I don't know that for a fact since I don't have any NEO but it seems pretty damn close while looking at the pictures.

Sorry, my bad.

What I meant is: if someone tells you that Sparmax is worse then he is lying.

Let me explain: Both are decent airbrushes. Not the best, but very good. However, some people tend to neglect the companies that are different from H&S and Iwata and that is completely wrong perception. So, if someone says that it is worse - that is actually false info.

Even though it might not feel comfortable for some - as Out2gtcha likes Iwata better - I doubt that person who knows how to spray would even begin to think to categorize Sparmax as worse than anything.

Would you Out2gtcha? I think not. Not if you know your way around airbrushing.

Both airbrushes are in the same class. Price-wise different, but with similar capabilities. There is hardly a thing that Iwata is capable of and that Sparmax is not - thus either someone would lie to you, or he is not capable of using the Sparmax correctly. That is about the specific models mentioned of course.

I hope that clears the clouds here.

No clouds at all buddy seems again the meaning gets lost in translation over the internet lol!

I have two sparmax brushes and they work a treat. Actually I've had both since 2011 so 7 years running not a hiccup!

Model on!!

I wouldn't say the SM gun was bad. I would say the Iwata was better however. I also wouldn't say that the Grex guns are "bad" but I HATED using the one I had for awhile either. Calling one thing better but not calling the other "worse" boils down to semantics for me.

Though that all is still only my opinion.

Like most things, it comes down to how it feels and works in your hand. 

I like my Iwata HP-CS a lot.  I like my H&S Infinity some and people would say I'm crazy because the H&S is a 'superior' airbrush.

But I'm not totally comfortable with it yet as I've used it about 1/1000 the time I've used the Iwata, however I can see how much finer detail I can work with the H&S and the fine needle compared to the Iwata.   I'm looking forward to trying to do a Luftwaffe splotch camo scheme on a 1/48 ME-109 sometime here soon.  But the HP-CS will remain my work horse.

The Grex doesn't feel right in my hand and I can't really explain why.  Both the HP-CS and the Infinity feel very comfortable. 

But I think your paint matters too.

I'm 100% consistent with Model Master Acryl and can accomplish pretty much what I intend to with that paint.  I'm about 90% with Tamiya, and about 85-90% with Vallejo Model Air and getting better.  All on the same airbrush.  Been using the Vallejo for less than a year.

It comes down to what works for you given what you want to accomplish.  

FWIW.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

I have a badger patriot 105, and like it very much.  The needle is exposed past the tip, which some people mark as a negative, but I find it makes it much easier to deal with tip dry if you're using Vallejo or Stynylrez that dry all the time. I just recently bought the extra fine needle conversion (0.2) for super fine line work.  It comes with a 0.35 "fine" needle.  I also have a 0.5 medium needle, that I will probably use for large coverage like the wings on my Mossie. 

Just received my H&S Infinity yesterday. It just exudes quality, even just looking at it in the box. But I'll probably grab a Sparmax one for stuff like primers and clearcoats, the Infinity is probably too advanced for stuff like that

Matt

Just be careful with the Infinity needle, it's EXTEMELY delicate. Its a great piece of machinery, and excellent for things like motteling, but the needle is especially susceptible to bending.