Tamiya Spit VIII into a Spit Vb trop

AceofClubs

Hi all, maybe not a new question but do you think is it possible to convert a Tamiya Spit VIII into a Vb trop one? I'd like in particular those with Vokes filters (no Aboukir type).

I know Warbirds Production made a Vokes filter for Hurricane but I can't find for Spitfire.

Do you think Hobby Boss filter can be adapted to Tamiya Spit with no particular ... headache?

Many thanks for your kind answers.

Ciao

Filippo

Hi all, maybe not a new question but do you think is it possible to convert a Tamiya Spit VIII into a Vb trop one? I'd like in particular those with Vokes filters (no Aboukir type).

I know Warbirds Production made a Vokes filter for Hurricane but I can't find for Spitfire.

Do you think Hobby Boss filter can be adapted to Tamiya Spit with no particular ... headache?

Many thanks for your kind answers.

Ciao

Filippo

Not a bad idea but it will need a little more work than that. First of all, a Tamiya IX would make more sense because it comes with the fixed tail wheel - the VIII kit only comes with the retractable tail wheel which wasn't fitted to the V. The IX kit is also cheaper.

The Hobbyboss wings fit the Tamiya Spitfire fuselage really quite well, which would be necessary for making a Vb (since the Tamiya IX comes with a C wing).

mccWo0W.jpg

If you wanted to make a Vc, you could use the Tamiya wings but would need to fill the area of the Tamiya oil cooler replace it with the small oil cooler type. Alternatively, for a Vc, you could cross kit a Revell mk I and mk IX and source the Vokes filter and prop and spinner from somewhere else, maybe Hasegawa - but that would be a cheaper and simpler solution for a Vc. But you asked about a Vb - in that case the easiest way (if you insist on using a Tamiya fuselage - rather than building a Hasegawa or Hobbyboss kit out of the box) is by using a Tamiya main fuselage, Hobbyboss nose panels and wings. If you don't like the Hobbyboss wings, Hasegawa's Vb wings also fit the Tamiya fuselage quite well, but it has (fine) raised panel lines.

The Hobbyboss nose panels are cut off at the same point at the Tamiya nose panels. The side panels fit quite well, but the top panel of Hobbyboss is a bit wider than the Tamiya nose.

wZaPqb2.jpg

I don't know how the Hobbyboss Vokes filter would fit, but if you use the Hobbyboss wing I don't imagine the fit would be terrible.

Edited by Elger

Hi Elger/AOClubs

Great concept, I have started converting a Tamiya IXc into a Vc using an Eduard Brassin Mosquito 'short' engine and removed the radiator, somehow just need to overcome the engine cowls and making a new oil cooler.....

I love your idea, keep us updated!

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Didn't the VIII have a pointed tailfin?

Gaz

Yes, the rudder shape is very different to the MkV's rudder, but also the elevators and tail planes are different.  I'd have thought that the MkIX kit would be a much better starting point, but you still have to change it from a C wing to a B wing and change to a smaller oil cooler under the port wing.

I'd suggest you do a lot of research before cutting up such an expensive kit.  The old Hasegawa MkV is a better bet, together with some after market cockpit details, and you'd have a fine model. It would probably be cheaper too.

Cheers,

Mike

The early Mk IX's were converted MK V's so to revert back to Mk V using a Mk IX kit makes better sense. The cowlings on the early IX's were lengthened V's panels by adding a section at the back by Rolls Royce. So far for the theory.

Cees

Didn't the VIII have a pointed tailfin?

Gaz

Yes, but also the rounded type on some.   Although strictly speaking, the answer is: the fin was the same for all Merlin versions; the VIII used both the rounded and pointed rudder. ;)

There are both types in the Tamiya kit iirc.

Edited by MikeC

Hi all, many thanks for your kind help. It seems to me a more complex conversion with 3 different kits (Tamiya, Hobby Boss and Hasegawa). So could be better use Hobby Boss kit even if the wrong canopy (and my difficult to correct it! :hmmm:) try to dissuade me.

Ciao

Filippo

Hi all, many thanks for your kind help. It seems to me a more complex conversion with 3 different kits (Tamiya, Hobby Boss and Hasegawa). So could be better use Hobby Boss kit even if the wrong canopy (and my difficult to correct it! :hmmm:) try to dissuade me.

Ciao

Filippo

It's more simple convert the Revell MkII to a MkV. I have one of these to convert. I intend to use the short tip of the Tamiya MkIX tyo do a LF MkV. And if you need to downgrade an MkVIII, you will need to change the front portion of the kit and the wing filters. If you choos the revell kit you only will need the short tip and the exhausts. More simple, to me.

This is the MkVIII:

Art-Spitfire-MkVIII-blue-print-scale-dra

The MkV:

spitfirevb24reviewbgmodelart.jpg

And the MkI:

1516510d0a6f7564ccfa71e54d95cf11.gif

Just compare the drawings and you will see the differences.

cheers, Paulo.