Williams Bros Gee Bee R.1, Jimmy Doolittle, Cleveland 1932.

ericg

Here is the Williams Bros Gee Bee R.1 Racer as flown by Jimmy Doolittle to first place during the 1932 Thompson Trophy race in Cleveland.

Built out of the box apart from :

Airscale instrument decals

Seatbelts made from masking tape

The build:

I replaced the kit decals with new ones from Williams Bros as the very old kit ones had perished. Monofilament rigging as provided in the kit was replaced with beading elastic of the same diameter and painted silver. Pitot tube was replaced with brass rod of the same size and shape and all raised detail was restored to make this kit as closley out of the box as possible. I flattened the tyres slightly to represent the weight of the real aircraft.

Paint:

Red Gunze acrylic over pink primer for the red components of the scheme, which was applied over white primer. Black decal pin striping was sourced from the division lines of Wingnut Wings decal sheets. Sealed with Tamiya acrlic clear which was polished to a highly glossy finish.

1-X3.jpg

7-X3.jpg

3-X3.jpg

5-X3.jpg

4-X3.jpg

2-X3.jpg

9-X3.jpg

8-X3.jpg

6-X3.jpg

10-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Nice one, Eric (and a timely reminder that I must resume work on my doublet of Gee Bees now that the dust of my move to Portugal has settled).
I like your idea of recycling the decal sheet division lines for the pinstripe.
Not a criticism of your work, as you clearly wanted it to be « out-of-the-box », but your pics show how the panel lines of these venerable Willimas kits are on the heavy side...

:goodjob:

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers