1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thank you so much for checking in with this build!  Comments are greatly appreciated!

Due to limited time over the weekend, I've held off on starting the main painting.  Instead, I occupied myself by painting the Barracuda resin wheels.  Much effort was made to make the tread grooves darker than the tread surfaces.

IMG-4342.jpg

IMG-4343.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

Guest Vincent

Hi

Your work is beautiful but one remark : if there was putty applied, there would be no panel line visible. Putty was also applied on rivets by the way

But your painting is really impressive

V

Thanks for the comments everyone!

7 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

Your work is beautiful but one remark : if there was putty applied, there would be no panel line visible. Putty was also applied on rivets by the way

But your painting is really impressive

V

Thank you Vincent!  You bring up a very good point and it was something that I thought about but decided against representing.  Two primary reasons.  Firstly, it's hard to make a model without surface detail look realistic.  I'm sure there are ways but they are beyond me.  Secondly... I know it was the intention of the Luftwaffe to eliminate the surface imperfections on the 262 using putty but I'm doubtful as to how successful they were.  And since Yellow 3 was a well used aircraft, I am thinking that a model with visible rivets and panel lines may not be entirely inaccurate.

Guest Vincent
18 minutes ago, VintageEagle said:

Rivets and panel lines can still be seen in close up photos. The surface was not completely smooth, but imperfections removed. See for example a close up of W.Nr. 111711:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/messerschmitt-me-262-family-photograph-41

you would almost certainly not see a panel line under the paint but it's a model so why not

One thing to be noticed from the photo of W.Nr. 111711 is that putty was not applied on all rivets. The following photo shows the nose of a painted Me 262 where you can still see the panel lines and other details, but I agree that the effect is probably more subtle than if they had not applied any putty at all. So, I'd not highlight the panel lines and rivets with a too dark wash on the model:

8910709733_4689f35583_b.jpg

Edited by VintageEagle

8 hours ago, Vincent/MDC said:

you would almost certainly not see a panel line under the paint but it's a model so why not

The slats would be dropped too but that's alotta extra work.

2Z8AZuO.jpg

Thanks guys!  This will no longer be a black-base build.  I've done and sprayed the whole thing silver.  Decanted Tamiya AS-12, thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner and some Mr Leveling thinner to help even out the coat.

IMG-4344.jpg
IMG-4345.jpg
IMG-4346.jpg
IMG-4353.jpg
IMG-4352.jpg
IMG-4349.jpg
IMG-4350.jpg
IMG-4351.jpg

The plan now is to establish the putty lines and then apply hairspray over the wing roots to facilitate chipping afterwards.  Not sure if I'll add some mottling to give the camo some tonal variation... maybe some color other than black.