1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thanks so much for the comments guys.  I really appreciate it!  The wings have been attached to the fuselage.  A big step for me on this build as it signals the end of the work that I had to do in those darn wheel wells. 

IMG-3941.jpg

As the glue sets, I did a little detail work... replacing the kit antennae with brass tubing, stretched sprue and a piece from a Coke can for the loop antenna.

IMG-3936.jpg

IMG-3940.jpg

IMG-3939.jpg

The wing join isn't very good.  Lots of little gaps and steps everywhere you look.  I elected to fill the majority of gaps with pieces of stretched sprue.  Softened with Tamiya Extra Thin, the sprue was pressed into the gaps to help create some more strength for what will undoubtedly be lots of filling and sanding work and then the following restoration of lost detail.

IMG-3976.jpg

IMG-3977.jpg

IMG-3979.jpg

IMG-3980.jpg

John,

I've been missing your mojo too!  Glad to see you back at it!  Those wheel wells look spectacular. 

As a guy who uses foil, I worry a lot about oxidation.   I've found that Future seems to prevent or slow the process.

Gaz

Thanks so much for the encouraging comments.  The seam work is a bit of a long grind as it takes me several iterations of putty application and cure time to get anywhere.  I've got to the point where I've laid down some primer on the joints just to better see what was going on. With different layers of kit plastic, stretched sprue and several different kinds of putty, you get to a point where you really can't see what the surface looks like.  I should have an update on the seam work soon.

Not much excitement going on over here.  The seams are slowly being addressed.  As I mentioned, I've shot the joints with a coat of primer to check where I am at.  Still lots of work to do, cleaning up the seams and then re-establishing the surface details.  But it's not as bad as it looked prior to the primer, thank goodness.

IMG-3996.jpg

IMG-3997.jpg

IMG-3999.jpg

IMG-4000.jpg

My filler of choice (Mr Surfacer) doesn't work well when re-scribing is required.  I really need to find a better choice in these situations.  I've ordered some black CA glue to give it a try on the next build.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report but I AM working on the 262 as much as I can as I am engaged on another project at the same time.  The bottom wing to fuselage seams have been bedeviling me because of improper materials.  The mixture of Milliput and Mr Surfacer in the seam was not allowing me to re-establish a good panel line (not enough material and the material in there was too soft).  I finally gouged out the seam, used black CA glue and finally saw some progress on those troublesome joints.

IMG-4218.jpg

IMG-4219.jpg

Not perfect but I am happier with the seams.  Enough so that I've restored the rivets and circular fasteners.

IMG-4220.jpg

IMG-4221.jpg

Getting closer to the painting stage!