1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Really really outstanding addition of detail!! Everytime the a/c touches down the tyre slips and the inner tube doesn’t... so, with time the techs had to deflate, adjust and reinflate the tyres... now everything is tubeless so no problem anymore!!

However, the tyre slip indicators add a nice realism!  

Cheers

Alan

Presenting... Big Mistake of the Day!

IMG-4457.jpg

Upper wing cross locations are not symmetrical as they should be.  Starboard side is correct.  Port side is not.  Luckily, it has been pointed out before I presented the fancy FINISHED photos!  Coincidentally, the fuselage markings are NOT symmetrical and that is intentional and based on the actual aircraft.

Before I discovered my gaffe with the wing crosses, I was merrily working away on other things.  I got the wheels on and put the 262 on her feet for the first time!  Had to chop off one of the landing gear axles because the wheels weren't hitting the ground right and replace it with a piece of brass tubing.
IMG-4691.jpg
IMG-4688.jpg

The inner gear doors got glued on...
IMG-4692.jpg

Not much else to do except attaching the various antennae and pitot tube and string the aerial antenna.
IMG-4699.jpg
IMG-4697.jpg

What a beautiful build John! She is just amazing - I really like the red oxide primer on the iron/steel parts - very correct.. the landing gear doors had iron/steel bolts that were susceptible to corrosion over time... She has to be one of the nicest 262's that I have ever seen... when do you plan to de-mask the canopies? Can't wait to see the finished & ready pics!! 

Such builds are really not only an artistic journey but a journey into the history of human aeronautical advancements, associated technologies, and engineering amongst other things... the 262 was revolutionary, in almost all asspects - and, as a current pilot I can only really imagine how that was for a 24 year old young man to be flying one of the most advanced flying machines ever invented... 

Great job! 

Now, what's next up on the bench mate?

Here's the wing fix that I started last night and finished this evening.  Not the kind of mistake that stands out but once you notice it... it's very obvious.
IMG-4700.jpg

Verifying that it is the port wing that needs correction, I have to eradicate the existing white cross.  Just spraying it with the RLM 83 Dark Green will result in an obvious patch.  Which I guess might be plausible for a worn bird like Yellow 3.  But I decided to make the repair as invisible as possible.
IMG-4701.jpg

So I erase the cross with Neutral Grey.  I extend the patch into a square just to get away from the shape of the cross.  After this pic, I pre-shaded the panel lines in a darker grey.
IMG-4702.jpg

The RLM 83 is applied in uneven scribbles, similar to how the original coat was applied.  It stands out now because it is flat vs satin... should even out when I clear coat it.
IMG-4704.jpg

Luckily, I saved the Montex masks and was able to re-use a mask to put a new white cross in the correct location.
IMG-4706.jpg

Check the positioning of the crosses to make sure they match.  A gloss coat is applied and allowed to dry overnight.  This is where I left it last night.
IMG-4707.jpg

Today, I applied a dark wash over the re-painted area to match the rest of the wing.
IMG-4710.jpg
IMG-4711.jpg

All of the spray work is done so I can take off the canopy masks now.  Always nervous when I do this reveal because you are never quite sure how it is going to turn out.  Looks a-ok from here.
IMG-4712.jpg

Ok here too.
IMG-4713.jpg

From the front.... what the heck is that white thing stuck to the inside of the windscreen?
IMG-4714.jpg

3 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

What a beautiful build John! She is just amazing - I really like the red oxide primer on the iron/steel parts - very correct.. the landing gear doors had iron/steel bolts that were susceptible to corrosion over time... She has to be one of the nicest 262's that I have ever seen... when do you plan to de-mask the canopies? Can't wait to see the finished & ready pics!! 

Such builds are really not only an artistic journey but a journey into the history of human aeronautical advancements, associated technologies, and engineering amongst other things... the 262 was revolutionary, in almost all asspects - and, as a current pilot I can only really imagine how that was for a 24 year old young man to be flying one of the most advanced flying machines ever invented... 

Great job! 

Now, what's next up on the bench mate?

Thank you, Alan!  I appreciate the kind words especially from a devoted 262 fan such as yourself.  No, the model isn't perfect and has some obvious flaws but the process from start to finish has been amazingly fun and educational.  It is a unique aircraft in so many ways and the construction of the model reflected that.  After a brief scare with the clear parts that I've just described, I would consider this one  close to being finished.  What is after?  Another Tamiya 1/32 Corsair build, believe it or not!  I know it is one of the oft-built kits around these parts but it's next on my list and I'm going to start on her very soon.

NICE correction work bud! You'd never ever know it was even there............. 

8 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

From the front.... what the heck is that white thing stuck to the inside of the windscreen?
IMG-4714.jpg

I found the same type of thing after I sealed up the pit on my XF5U.   It was SO stuck on the front windscreen via static cling, I had to heavy breath on the windscreen to at least knock it loose from the windscreen into a less visible part of the pit seein as I was not in the mood to take apart the now sealed cockpit. 

Did you go closed pit on this one John? 

18 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

NICE correction work bud! You'd never ever know it was even there............. 

I found the same type of thing after I sealed up the pit on my XF5U.   It was SO stuck on the front windscreen via static cling, I had to heavy breath on the windscreen to at least knock it loose from the windscreen into a less visible part of the pit seein as I was not in the mood to take apart the now sealed cockpit. 

Did you go closed pit on this one John? 

Yes, closed canopy Brian.  I tried knocking that little bugger off the windscreen from the outside but it was not budging.  I couldn't accept its presence so I had to resort to a more drastic removal process.  A possible deal-breaker whenever you mess around with clear parts but I didn't know what else to do.