1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

None of my work is intended for publication BUT on the other hand, I do like making things look the best that they can, even for a forum-only build.

John,

Actually you are publishing by putting build threads on the site. People across the world see your work and giving them the best image is the way to go. I do admire the care you take with both your models and your gracious commentary.

Cheers,

D.B.

2 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

John,

Actually you are publishing by putting build threads on the site. People across the world see your work and giving them the best image is the way to go. I do admire the care you take with both your models and your gracious commentary.

Cheers,

D.B.

I didn't want to be presumptuous but yes, I totally agree.  I'm a big believer in the forum/message board format for the exchange of modeling information.  I've learned way more on these boards than any book or magazine (although those are helpful too).  And I love the fact that this is a totally user-driven form of communication.  Just modelers sharing information with one another with no financial rewards attached.  It's a wonderful form of communication and I like doing my part to make that communication as good as I can make it.

The decal application is finished.  Since the main markings were painted using masks, only the stencil data decals from the kit were used.

IMG-4522.jpg

IMG-4523.jpg

IMG-4524.jpg

IMG-4526.jpg

The foam masks for the wheel wells were removed and I touched up the edges with a paint brush.

IMG-4517.jpg

IMG-4519.jpg

IMG-4520.jpg

Weathering will begin tomorrow.

Thanks guys!  As promised, the weathering on Yellow 3 was started this morning with a pastel wash.  I started with a grey color on the bottom.
IMG-4527.jpg
IMG-4528.jpg

It's a subjective thing I know, whether to highlight the rivets and panel lines but for me, it is an absolute must-do.  I think it forces the viewer to see detail, which in turn registers the object to appear bigger, which I think is critical in scale modeling.  It also reduces the rivets and panel lines into dots and lines instead of holes and grooves and again, I think this makes the model look bigger.
IMG-4529.jpg
IMG-4531.jpg
IMG-4532.jpg

Here's a comparison, using the horizontal stabilizers as an example, of what the panel wash is doing to the model's surface.  A darker color was used on the upper RLM 83 surfaces.
IMG-4534.jpg
IMG-4535.jpg

So the first stage of weathering is complete.  I'll seal the wash with a clear coat, probably flat but before that I may do some post shading on the bottom.
IMG-4541.jpg
IMG-4540.jpg
IMG-4539.jpg
IMG-4536.jpg
IMG-4543.jpg

Thanks guys!  I'm pretty happy with how the topside turned out but am thinking the bottom doesn't match.  It seems too clean... will have to ponder that.

7 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

Thank you for sharing, John.  It's always wonderful to see your work.  What a stunning 262 you have built.  

Your cheerful and enthusiastic manner are refreshing and your superb craftsmanship and great ideas are a real inspiration.

I hope you have enjoyed the build as much as I have been following along. :) 

Thanks for those kind words Dan!  I'm just trying to contribute to this great site in my meager little way.  It's pretty intimidating given some of the mind-bending builds here.  I'm enjoying my hobby and enjoying being able to share with people who have the same passion.