1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Thanks for the comments guys!  The weathering is not complete but I'm happy with the way the base camo colors have turned out.  I won't have to replicate the wear using post-shading, which I think wouldn't look as realistic as physically wearing off the the RLM 83/76.  Due to the lack of contrast between the silver and the RLM76, the Micromesh treatment was not as effective and I'll have to do more post-shade work on the bottoms.  More will be done to tie the separate weathering elements together.  Right now the hairspray chipping looks artificially isolated.

9 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Looks absolutely fantastic and realistic! Just one small remark: the pilot would climb the aircraft via the foot holds in the forward engine nacelle and not via the wing root. Still there would be some chipping at the wing root, but maybe not so far back.

Cheers,

Roger

Excellent point, Roger... thanks for that insight. Which makes total sense given the foot holds in the engine nacelles.  No clear coat has been applied so there still opportunity to adjust the chipping.

1me262white17.jpg

1 hour ago, TorbenD said:

What a cracking paint job! Deeply impressed by the finish you’re achieving here.

Torben

Thank you Torben!  In the past, I've employed pre-shading to add tonal variation to the paint and then apply post-shade techniques to simulate wear.  While additive techniques can get the job done, this subtractive technique has helped to create a slightly different look and one that parallels what my have occurred to a well-worn aircraft such as Yellow 3.  After a not so successful attempt using a paint mule, I was going to abandon this approach but decided to stick with it and I'm pretty happy with the results.  It's not perfect but we're always learning!

More markings have been applied using masks.
IMG-4446.jpg
IMG-4442.jpg

The Werk Number is speculative based on four possibilities.  This was a custom mask cut with the Portrait cutter.
IMG-4443.jpg
IMG-4444.jpg

The Death's Head logo is a decal from the Trumpeter sheet.  I'll be using the kit stenciling as well.
IMG-4450.jpg
IMG-4452.jpg

Remember the horizontal stabilizers that were previously painted?  They do not match the rest of the aircraft due to the difference in base coats.
IMG-4453.jpg
IMG-4454.jpg

Thanks Brian!  This build is humming right along!

The tail stabilizers have been re-painted.  I skipped the base black step and went straight to silver.  These have not been given the Micromesh treatment yet.
IMG-4457.jpg
IMG-4462.jpg
IMG-4459.jpg

I pulled the stabilizers off to let them fully dry.  The model was given a light gloss coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss) in preparation of the stencil decals.
IMG-4464.jpg
IMG-4465.jpg
IMG-4466.jpg
IMG-4467.jpg
IMG-4463.jpg

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks Brian!  Now I need to figure how to incorporate the photo booth into my workflow.  Do I try to shoot all of my in-progress shots from the light booth?  A mix of desk shots and photo booth shots?

If I'm documenting a build at all these days, I try to take all photos in the photo booth. It is more of a pain to do, but creates a cleaner look, and is much more suitable for publication (which I realise is not everybody's goal). It's also a great way to practise making your photos better, even if they're not going to end up in a magazine.

Fantastic work on the 262 by the way, John!

Kev

1 hour ago, dashotgun said:

Looks real good

Thanks David!  I appreciate that!  The light box is an easy way to put some consistency into my photos.

21 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

If I'm documenting a build at all these days, I try to take all photos in the photo booth. It is more of a pain to do, but creates a cleaner look, and is much more suitable for publication (which I realise is not everybody's goal). It's also a great way to practise making your photos better, even if they're not going to end up in a magazine.

Fantastic work on the 262 by the way, John!

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  That'll be the goal... to get all of my pics in the booth but we'll have to see how that works convenience-wise.  None of my work is intended for publication BUT on the other hand, I do like making things look the best that they can, even for a forum-only build.