1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely work John. Looks like a sleek shark in all grey like that. 

Thanks Brian!  She might get an overall coat of black if I decide to go the black-base route... haven't decided yet.

2 hours ago, williamj said:

Looks fantastic:clap2::wub:...have yet to build a 262,will have to do one eventually,thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you, William! It's a good kit but keep in mind there will be a Revell 1/32 262A coming out soon.  That might give the Trumpeter kit some competition.

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Hi John, so good to see you back with your build and as ever such excellent work. Coming along very nicely indeed and your hard work on those difficult seams/ joints is paying off.

Regards.Andy 

Thanks so much Andy!  It is good to be back.  Not just to be modeling again but excited about modeling!  For a while there, I was wondering if the interest would ever return.  The time off has given me an additional dose of patience with some of the set-backs I've experienced like seams being a bugger to get right.  I'm at the point where the real fun begins... painting!  But I have to hold off because of travel.  I'll probably bust out the Barracuda wheels and start the paint work on them to keep me partially occupied while I spend the rest of my time packing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Gaz!  Finally have something new to report!

Sorry for the delay in posting.  I was out of country for the past two weeks.  Prior to that I didn't want to start on the next major step of painting and then have to pull off for 2-3 weeks so all in all... too much delay! 

So I'm back in the US and re-adjusting to this time zone.  Luckily, this was my Friday off so I was able to spend some time in the modeling room and begin the painting process for the 262.  I've decided to black base this bugger.  And so the first step is very simple... just paint it black!  I used Mr Hobby Lacquer paint thinned with a mixture of Tamiya Lacquer thinner and Mr Leveling Thinner. The first session was interrupted by dinner.
IMG-4311.jpg

I resumed the black base after dinner.  No need for a total gloss coat since I won't be metalizing this bird overall, just at the wing roots.
IMG-4321.jpg
IMG-4313.jpg
IMG-4317.jpg
IMG-4315.jpg
IMG-4318.jpg

The black base revealed a few minor seam imperfections that I'll work on after the paint cures.  That will probably delay the continuation of painting on the body for at least a day or two.  I've also painted the wing control surfaces and landing gear covers so I can proceed with those.
IMG-4319.jpg

I was hoping to have received a Badger Sotar to help make the black base effect more fine but I have no idea when it will arrive.  I'll have to make do with the tools that I have on hand. May have to bust out my old school Paasche V.

Edited by Thunnus

Thanks guys!  It's good to be working on the 262 again!

I applied some Mr Surfacer 1000 to some seam imperfections on the engine nacelles so I turned to the other outer components to start the camo painting process while the putty cured.  The base black was broken up using Tamiya Neutral Grey.
IMG-4322.jpg

RLM 76 Light Blue was sprayed on the appropriate parts.  Halfway through painting the undersides of the horizontal stabilizers, I sprayed the main panel lines with a dark grey to simulate the putty along the seams.
IMG-4323.jpg

Here are the parts after the RLM76.
IMG-4324.jpg
IMG-4325.jpg

The uppers were similarly treated but with RLM83 Dark Green.  The areas around the panel lines are lighter to represent the putty underneath.  When I get to the fuselage, I may buff away some of the green along the panel lines using Micromesh to get more of a wear effect.
IMG-4327.jpg

The horizontal stabilizers were given some base weathering including a panel wash, some post-shading and a small bit of chipping.  The stain on the upper side of the starboard stabilizer is from decal solution but has since been removed.
IMG-4328.jpg
IMG-4330.jpg

The control surfaces after painting...
IMG-4334.jpg
IMG-4333.jpg

The main landing gear covers...
IMG-4331.jpg
IMG-4332.jpg

The nose landing gear doors...
IMG-4337.jpg
IMG-4335.jpg

The errant seams were sanded and re-painted in gloss black.
IMG-4338.jpg
IMG-4339.jpg

That's all for now!