1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

The wing tip lights have been installed using UV-activated epoxy.  This stuff is very interesting and has loads of potential applications for modeling.  It's a VERY strong bond... stronger than CA glue so it is perfect for this application when you need to sand and polish the wing tip light to shape.  Before the lights were glued into place, the mounting pins were cut off and in that same position, a small depression was made with a micro drill bit to simulate a light bulb.  Clear red and clear green were used to color the bulbs.

IMG_3051.jpg

I even used it as a clear filler as the wing tip light were not a perfect fit.  Once hardened, the clear epoxy can be sanded and polished.  Due to the small size of the light, I'm not sure how seamless the joint between the clear plastic and epoxy can be made but it made me wonder if it could be used to repair clear parts.

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

A new pitot tube was made from brass tubing to replace the kit part.

IMG_3057.jpg

I think I am going to attach the engines to the wings before attaching the wings to the fuselage. This will give me better access to the engine/wing joint, which will need some filler.

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

Aye, them wing tip lights be perfect, young John!  That UV epoxy has some great uses for us.  However, if it's not seated into a deep enough fissure, it can be sanded off by mistake.  For instance, it doesn't work well as a fill for shallow imperfections.

Gaz

That looks wonderful!    I too love the UV activated gel. I used it on my F7F IP to great effect IMHO, it works perfect as IP "glass"

20180118_150806-XL.jpg

I think just one of the many uses for this stuff. The only drawback I can see is using it as a glue can be problematic if the area needed to be glued cannot be gotten to by the UV light, the full cure of the gel may not happen. 

Thanks for comments guys!  Appreciate it!

Nice job on the wingtip lights. How did you get them this clear? I always struggle with polishing....

Sandpaper and then micromesh and then finishing it off with a soft brush wheel on my Dremel with some polishing compound.

A little bit of progress on the 262 to report.  I've been fixing up the nose... puttying/sanding/re-scribing/etc.  It's getting there...

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

I've finished off the tab actuators on the wings.  Admittedly, a simplified representation but the compromise was intentional as I wanted them to be very sturdy to stand up to the upcoming painting/weathering process.

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

The engine pods have been glued onto the wings.  Fit is pretty good at the bases but some work is need to get rid of the seams on the top side.

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

Always a pleasure to see your work John.

Thank you for sharing and I hope you are having fun.

I think those little UV pens and glue sticks are an interesting development.  I can see some great uses for them and boy do they seem to polish out nicely.  From your progress it won't be long until you are at the painting stage.  I am looking forward to your painting as I like your style and always learn something new.  Kudos so far and good luck with the painting.

Dan

Thank you Dan!  I'm jumping between this one and another 1/32 190D-9 that I'm sharing on another site so progress on each has been slower than normal.  May's a busy month for me outside of modeling so I'm not sure I'll get to the painting soon but I'll get there eventually.  And yes... I am having fun with this one!

I forgot the name of the UV resin bonding pen!!!! can you mention it please?

Bondic is the name of one of them but I bought a cheaper generic called 5 Second Fix.

Hi John

I am a new member here and i had watched all your model build reviews, your way of modelling i like so much, you have the same level like Ralph Riese and J.M. Villalba.

Hello Werner!  Thank you for the kind words!  I'm not a great modeler but I really like sharing my builds with others and also learning things from watching other builders. 

Thunnus,

I think you might have a panel line there provided by the model company not provided by Messerschmitt.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gracilicaudatus/15675404286

https://s6.postimg.cc/oszb42j9d/IMG_3109.jpg

Just afriendly heads up.

Beautiful so far, more power to you.

Thank you!  Can I trouble you to explain a little further about the extra panel line(s)?  I'm not 100% familiar with the 262 and I have trouble identifying the panel line in question by comparing the two photos that you've shown.