Revell F4U1

bcauchi

Klaus, better stand next to something soft. The aluminium cover of the area behid the firewall fits tightly in place and can be removed very easily by just prising it open. In fact I have forgotten to paint the underside of this panel. I will open it up for you and take a pic. thanks for the comments on the chipping. I think it turned out ok especially the areas on the radiator intakes which always weathered along the rivet lines. it is a weathering feature on all corsairs.

The base will be a coral bulldozed area with excess material stacked up on three sides, PSP under the corsair, a couple of boulders for chocks and the pilot together with a trio of marines somewhere near the plane. There is still a lot to do. But at least the plane itself is nearly done.

i am talking to you from another, better world now...

yes, the area of the radiator intakes is exactly what i meant. i am very anxious to see the opened engine on th efinished plane. though i like it alot, that you choose to close it as well. so the lines of this bulldog are not ruined by the missing of the cowling.

your ideas about the base sound very good to me. maybe you want to add some little puddles . i think water extremely adds life to a base. if you dont have any PSP plates you can use "printed circuit boards" (dont know if its the right word. leo-english directory...)

these really look like PSP platings. if you put some dust onto them they might look very authentic.

cheers klaus

Brian this is absolutely your best yet. The weathering, sun fading, stains and panel shading are just the best. Every time you post I get out the airbrush and do more work on my model to copy your technique. Please post shots of the base and figures when you're done. I don't remember figures in any of your other bases ....RAF P-40, Spitfires?? Is that new for you?

Cheers

Brian,

Absolutlly brilliant, the matt finish and paint chipping really sets this off. Did you use a silver pencil for the chipping?

You should be proud of this bird, I have seen no better, well except the one I built! HAHAHA no really it is such a master piece and that is for sure. I Love how the weather on the bottom came out and the overall appeal of this kit is a for real best of show winner.

Cheers Murph...

Brian you have brought this beauty to life with the chipping, weathering and finish.... what a master piece.... I would love to see her with my own eyes!! The coral island environment was pretty harsh on these birds and I think you have captured the right reality.... absolutely beautiful!

Cheers

Alan

Absolutely magnificent build Brian,

What's next? How about a RAF twin (HP Hampden, Bristol Blenheim?) ready for the Cauchi treatment?

That would be something to look forward to.

Cheers

Cees

Guys thanks for the comments.

This will not be the first base with figures. Remember the Trump P40? Had Tex sipping coffee and looking at his plane. This will just be a bit more sophisticated and ambitious with four figures but I like the setting and I want it to look right.

Thanks for the tip on the psp Klaus but I have some photo etched stuff from Flightpath. It looks very nice and was not that expensive.

Just a pic of the cockpit I'm working on. I decided to add framing on the inside this time. I noticed from close up reference pics that the glass was nearly fush with the frame but there was a thick framework on the inside and this is easily seen. So I built it up underneath. It will show through the clear areas and its thickness will be visible.

Brian, this is freakishly great work. Few people bring all the various build components together quite like you seem to consistently. I reckon we are lucky to have you here on LSP to share your work. Very inspiring.

Mate, I couldn't quite work out how you did the paint chipping....you mentioned earlier that you used aluminium and Payne's Grey. Was that Humbrol aluminium? Did you just dab it on lightly with a tiny brush, or dry brush, or what? Whatever you did, it looks thoroughly convincing. ;)

Great stuff again mate.

Cheers

Mango Man.

Ango, those are some nice words there. Much appreciated but there are many others on LSP whom I have learnt from so I guess we are all lucky to form part of such a great group of modellers. I think the most important part of the hobby is the sharing. that raises the level sky high.

As for the chipping. I just used humbrol aluminium number 56 for the topsides. This was painted on with a fine brush giving the general impression of chipping and overdoing it because with the subsequent step to be taken, a lot of it will be removed. When dry I just used some fine mesh steel wool or micromesh as some of you might know it and rubbed along the airflow. This removes excessive amount of paint, gives it a more random appearance, dulls the sheen and blends the chipping into the surface paint.

I did the same for the underside but used an oil colour called payne's grey which is hard to describe. It is a darkish, metalliky grey shade which when applied seems light in areas and darker in others. I thought it worked quite well for chipping on lighter shades of paint.

Simple yet effective, often the best way, hey?! Thanks mate! ;)

I am thinking will need to do a bit of light paint chipping on my big Battle of Britain spitfire, so your method may suit it nicely.

Cheers Brian

Ango.

Brian,

I find it difficult to find the right words for this build, it is simply quite stunning. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Yours (amazed)

Derek

Awesome work Brian

Everything that you have done just looks right. Like Klaus mentioned, I think that is exactly how she would have looked if we could travel back in time and see her.

Soooo many things I have learned from this that I will also use on my 48th one I am working on.

Cheers

Anthony