Quickbuild Hobbycraft P-51A/MK.I RAF 309 Polish Sqd, 1943

1to1scale

I will describe the last few nights...

Sanding

Sanding

Sanding

And tonight, sanding. But, you have to treat Hobbycraft like they are short run kits, because they are. The plastic is very thick close and translucent, glue takes a while to set, and sanding is needed to fix some seams, no, all the seams. The good news is it just required a few spots of filler, except for the belly scoop. It's not even close. I had to load it up with filler and let it dry a while. This will give me time to work on some details.

cfFX5N6.jpg

eZXPJLX.jpg

WFmIoE2.jpg

9q1mV0t.jpg

I found a great source for the fishtail exhaust...Hasegawa P-40N from the Eduard kit. Since it comes with Resin exhausts, the plastic ones are fair game. Hopefully Brassin will sell them separately, and I don't have to keep buying these Eduard kits.

ucJ8L4q.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Not so bad, yes quite a bit more filling and sanding than I first thought, and if I did another, I would have used plastic shims and not as much filler. I had hoped to have it painted by last night, but I am now actually ready to throw the first coat primer on, everything is masked and ready to go.

This quick build is still fighting me, after filling some goofs, i primered it again, applied some masks, then...

J6rDjbH.jpg

6PERhH7.jpg

oXblHVn.jpg

QOIaone.jpg

Yup, disaster struck. I spilled yellow all over the nose, I grabbed a paper towel and made it worse. So cleaned up as much as I could with alcohol and waited for it to dry.

Edited by 1to1scale

Camo is done, I stupidly forgot the fin flash and didn't realize it until I was spraying the Sea Gray over the tail, which I prepped with white before. I am going to have to spray it white next before I come in with blue and red on the roundels. The Beaty of masks, you can spray them either way, it's just getting white to cover over dark colors is tough.

mm5w8Ht.jpg

xHHczRJ.jpg

waJBX6f.jpg

Gorgeous job so far. I have a couple or three of these kits in my stash and they beckon me, they do.

I had six once, I'm down to my last three, I have one of each except the A-36. It's not a bad kit, just be prepared to use a little filler on the seams and both scoops.

I'm getting paint finished up, next is some weathering. This project was the most complex as far as how many different colors I had to airbrush. Camo paints were standard Tamiya British colors, the rounded blue is 8:1 blue:black, the red is 6:1 mix of red:nato brown. I was a little skeptical about the brown red, but after painting, it looks right.

qj6gWeA.jpg

nrBJ7VQ.jpg

efhrTTj.jpg

A2YraEg.jpg

EQ507p1.jpg

fz90ivj.jpg