Arado Ar 234A V6 - 4 x BMW engines Prototype (Kettenkrad)

kkarlsen

amazing - just caught up with this :)

love the approach and choosing something challenging and unusual - it's going to really stand out once complete and I suspect might cause a few 'Waht if' comments as until I read this thread I had no idea there was a 232 with four podded engines

..also feel for you when you rely on things in books and find through research that actually the facts were different - it's actually a very rewarding part of the hobby I find :)

great work on the casting too - another dimension opens up to you once you crack that and it looks as if you are already a pro. The bit I am biting my nails about is the canopy - looking forward to seeing how you approach it as it has always been my nemesis  :unsure:

can't wait for more..

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for your encouragement!!

You''re absolutely right, the canopy is a major 'hurdle' to overcome.

So, I just couldn't leave you with your finger nails getting bitten to pieces...

I've been using my little vacuum forming box for the canopy.

7698-290318145455-1337441.jpeg

Using the kitchen oven and the vacuum cleaner to create the vacuum.

It looks easy, but there has been a lot of testing with different temperatures, materials, thickness and time...

7698-290318145456-133752020.jpeg

But I finally got everything right... 0,5 mm Vivak PETG

7698-290318145457-133761226.jpeg

Almost perfect.

7698-290318145457-133771081.jpeg

An extra copy, just to make sure...

So with the canopy out of the way, no more large scratched parts are needed, I think..

Cheers: Kent

This is a very, very impressive and (apparently) straightforward build, Kent!

Can u tell us a little about how you buildt up and finished the canopy plug? The surface looks like some polished tamiya primer...

tnx

Joerg

Thanks Joerg, I wouldn't say its all straightforward. There's a lot of trial and error involved, you just don't get to see it ;-)

The plug for the canopy was initially made from 'Das Pronto White Clay'.

When dry, it was shaped roughly (and very easily) with a knife, files and sandpaper.

It was then puttied with some IMPA one-component fine filler, (several layers until the desired shape)

The filler is sanded to get the fine surface for the plug.

Lastly, it was painted with Mr. Color 1200 gray surfacer and polished to get the smooth surface.

Cheers: Kent

unbelievable! that is the highest quality work and you just turn it out just like that...

no swearing, no hissy fits, no mental breakdowns, no burning through Vivak or PETG at an industrial rate, no moulding bubbles, no masters being ruined, no primer sticking to the vacform & ruining both the pull and the master, no stretch lines, no milkiness - what is going on...

I suppose you can walk on water too, right?

speechless in both awe and jealosy..

Peter

unbelievable! that is the highest quality work and you just turn it out just like that...

no swearing, no hissy fits, no mental breakdowns, no burning through Vivak or PETG at an industrial rate, no moulding bubbles, no masters being ruined, no primer sticking to the vacform & ruining both the pull and the master, no stretch lines, no milkiness - what is going on...

I suppose you can walk on water too, right?

speechless in both awe and jealosy..

Peter

Hmm, I recognize almost all of the above mentioned scenarios and I had them... Btw you forgot the yellowing of acetat tests!

I think i only got away with it because the master's were holding together despite the punishment...

7698-300318075504.jpeg

It was by no means easy, but patience was rewarded, tweeking the temperature and time...

;-) Kent

Edited by kkarlsen