Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' The man meets the model.

ericg

David sent me a stack of photos taken by his successor. Hope that they may be of use. Of particular interest (of course!) is the various Aussie markings applied to some of the O-2's, lack of inner pylons and various other details. David did relay to me that during his time in Vietnam, the inner pylons were fitted.

O2A%20GEAR%20DOWN-X2.jpg

O2A%20FORM-L.jpg

O2A%20VR%205-L.jpg

O-2A%20ASTERN-M.jpg

02-A%20LDG%20GEAR-X2.jpg

02A%20RECCE-X2.jpg

0-2A-X2.jpg

Some more work!

I strengthened the nose gear leg by drilling it and inserting 1mm diameter brass rod.

IMG_1652-X3.jpg

IMG_1653-X3.jpg

The almost completed IP.

IMG_1650-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found that even though I had beefed up the strength of the undercarriage with music wire, that the weight required in the nose to keep the model from sitting on its tail was bending the undercarriage to unacceptable levels. I needed to find another solution. I removed the leading edge of the undercarriage leg back to previously inserted music wire.

IMG_2612-X3.jpg

I then cut some thick brass sheet in the rough shape of the leg.

IMG_2617-X3.jpg

This was then attached with slow set superglue, and then roughed into shape with a rasp file

IMG_2615-X3.jpg

I then refined the shape further with a diamond file. The good thing about this modification was that I was able to thin the gear legs even further than I had them before.

IMG_2622-X3.jpg

IMG_2621-X3.jpg

IMG_2620-X3.jpg

The unfortunate thing about this model is that it requires a HUGE amount of nose weight to keep it on the ground, so I have packed lead into everywhere as far forward as I could, including filling the engine and nose wheel with lead. Virtually the entire under surface of the nose cowl has been sheeted with it and also notice the small space infront of the instrument panel has been packed with lead.

IMG_2623-X3.jpg

The test.....

IMG_2626-X3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Onto some of the windows. I wanted to get a feel for how the other windows were going to fit before I got too far as I felt that there was going to be alot of work ahead of me. I think that large amount of clear parts of this model will be something that will draw a viewers attention so they need to be done properly.

Here is the small window forward of the cockpit door. As can be seen, there is alot of evidence that this was designed late on a Friday afternoon at the Roden office, obviously when getting to the nearest pub was more important than actually designing something to fit. There is a saying out there `like throwing a sausage roll down a hallway', which is usually used to describe something else but is applicable here.

IMG_2642-X3.jpg

I made up a new one from PETG sheet.

IMG_2761-X3.jpg

Here is the size comparison, with the kit window on top of the new one that I made.

IMG_2762-X3.jpg

The new window dry fitted into the hole. It is a much better fit, and is much clearer than the kit clear parts.

IMG_2764-X3.jpg

Before installing the wing struts, I carved a groove into one side of them and super glued in some music wire to much improve their strength and bend resistance. 

IMG_2765-X3.jpg

Some of the smaller exterior details. there is a small bracket that will secure the HF wire that I felt could be done better.

IMG_2768-X3.jpg

I sanded it off and made up a new one using some scrap photo etch. 

IMG_2781-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Some amazing modeling and completely agree that Rogen's quality control was easily out to lunch.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Eric, Outstanding attention to detail and excellent problem solving and workmanship! The personal stories make your work that much sweeter to  watch come together. Keep it up !  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Paul