Spitfire IX MK984 "Lala", Sqn.Ldr. W. Retinger

R Palimaka

With kind assistance from Carl (BloorwestSiR), I'm going to join this build with a 2nd TAF Spitfire. He kindly sent me the wing bomb carriers, 250 lb. RAF bombs, and 30 gallon slipper tanks from the Tamiya kit. I'm going to add these to a PCM Spitfire IX kit. I realize now that my 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang is going to be a longer term project, and for now I just want to build something out of the box...something simpler (haha!). I know the PCM kit requires care, but it's on my shelf and I think I'll just do it. The group builds give me a reason to keep at it, hopefully to completion this time.

I'm still trying to decide which aircraft to do. I like the 308 Squadron aircraft of Squadron Leader W. Retinger, with the "Lala" inscription and the bomb record on the cowling. It apparently survived until the January 1st "Operation Bodenplate" attack, where it was destroyed. On the other hand, I'd also like to do a familiar 302 Squadron aircraft, "Pat", flown by W/O Henryk Dygala. It had the broad-chord rudder which I was kind of hoping to use too.

Either way, I'll start this one on it's way. I can decide on markings later.  Any thoughts or preferences?

WpYQghSl.jpg

6Ud0WSOl.jpg

LY3sH1Gl.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Well, it looks like Retinger's "Lala" is the popular choice. I'm quite happy to go with that one for this build, although I agree with Carl, I like the looks of the broad-chord rudder on the Spitfire.

I'll have to order the decals from Techmod. I have everything else I need.

As for a Spitfire with a broad-chord rudder, maybe another time. I'm thinking Sqn/Ldr Hank Zary's high-back Spitfire XVI, TB752 "Val" (decals available from Fundekals). Zary was born to Polish immigrants in Brooklyn, NY and served with the RCAF, eventually becoming an ace. That covers a lot of things that appeal to me in a build. Have to find out about the bulged cowling covers on the Packard powered Spitfires...how much do I want to fix that? Anyway...first things first!

So, on with "Lala"!

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

I like Lala as well, and prefer the rounded rudder. Is there something I'm missing about the difference in paint scheme? I don't see any difference besides nose art.

I wasn't sure about that question either. Maybe the dark tones of the profile art made it look like different colours? But you're right, should be the same scheme.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka