Heinkel He -111.

TimHepplestone

Are you using Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softer?  If so, I'll tell you what happens with them.  Mr. Mark Setter leaves a white residue where ever it puddles, even if for the shortest time.

I despaired of ever getting it off.  Neither water nor soap would touch it.  I even quit using it for quite a while.

Then I decided to give it another go.  I shook both bottles really well, having seen that recommended somewhere else.  But I still got white where I didn't want it.  But I still had to apply Mr. Mark Softer.  I got a blob of it over the white stain and had to use a paintbrush to get it off.  Lo and behold the white stain came off, too.

So...If it is Mr. Mark Setter, I'd hit it with Mr. Mark Softer.  Good luck.

BTW...I use Future before I decal, too.

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

Are you using Mr. Mark Setter and Mr. Mark Softer?  If so, I'll tell you what happens with them.  Mr. Mark Setter leaves a white residue where ever it puddles, even if for the shortest time.

I despaired of ever getting it off.  Neither water nor soap would touch it.  I even quit using it for quite a while.

Then I decided to give it another go.  I shook both bottles really well, having seen that recommended somewhere else.  But I still got white where I didn't want it.  But I still had to apply Mr. Mark Softer.  I got a blob of it over the white stain and had to use a paintbrush to get it off.  Lo and behold the white stain came off, too.

So...If it is Mr. Mark Setter, I'd hit it with Mr. Mark Softer.  Good luck.

BTW...I use Future before I decal, too.

Gaz

Was my normal Microset. microsol solutions. Nevermind, was easy enough to lightly airbrush over it

Painting and weathering process on the propellers. Started with base coat. Yellow -with a drop of red for warmth for the spinner. Black-green for the blades, all over a base coat of Alclad aluminium. I delibrately spayed the black green unevenely, and added some streaking with very thin yellow green to start the weathering process.

1Hv02qGl.jpg

Used a coarse sanding stick and sharp hypodermic needle to create some scatches

KELNjAal.jpg

Next step was to mas off the front of the spinner and used pigments (Humbrol soot) to darken and create streaks on the back half of the spinner.

jKbUvITl.jpg

Finally an oil wash and dot oil filter on the blades

UaIwvObl.jpg

Of course it may all be for nothing. The blades are the wrong chord for a BOB H2 or H3 version but are more apllicable to the later H6. If I can source some AM props this will all need to be repeated. Still, was a fun way to kill a few hours

Future for some reason reacts with some decal solutions. Usually another quick coat of future over the top of the discolouration clears it right up.

Thanks Brad. Ended up giving it a light polish followed by the light blue and another coat of future. Thinking maybe the future hadn't cured properly, it been hot and really humid here lately

Really nice work, Tim.  Props and spinners are one of those areas that I need to learn to take the time for some subtle shading and weathering.  Usually by the time I get to that point of the build I am ready to get it finished and end up with "that's good enough!"  

Really nice work, Tim.  Props and spinners are one of those areas that I need to learn to take the time for some subtle shading and weathering.  Usually by the time I get to that point of the build I am ready to get it finished and end up with "that's good enough!"

Cheers. I have the same problem with ordnance on modern jets. I think I should build kits backward : start with the dangly bits first while enthusiasm levels are high, and then go on to cockpits

Cheers. I have the same problem with ordnance on modern jets. I think I should build kits backward : start with the dangly bits first while enthusiasm levels are high, and then go on to cockpits

That's actually a good idea, Tim.  I may have to try that as well

thanks to LSP's wonderful navigation, i have only just found this entire group build sub-forum, let alone this build!  :mental:

great work all round on this - i admire you for fighting the unwinnable battle of converting either of Revell's 111 kits into something like a H-3

you seem to know what you 'fudged' with the gondola, so i'll move on

the prop blades will not be correct for a 1940(ish) H-3(ish) aircraft

they'll still look cool, so obviously it depends on how bothered you are

i have a lot on info on 111s so ask away if you want pointers

Nick

thanks to LSP's wonderful navigation, i have only just found this entire group build sub-forum, let alone this build!  :mental:

great work all round on this - i admire you for fighting the unwinnable battle of converting either of Revell's 111 kits into something like a H-3

you seem to know what you 'fudged' with the gondola, so i'll move on

the prop blades will not be correct for a 1940(ish) H-3(ish) aircraft

they'll still look cool, so obviously it depends on how bothered you are

i have a lot on info on 111s so ask away if you want pointers

Nick

Thanks Nick. And thanks for the info on the pm. Here are some of the drawings I'm using as reference

https://imgur.com/a/jtxWe

And

https://i.imgur.com/RPu3j4q.png

The props are bothering me so I'm scrounging around local forums for an old unwanted P version. So far the search for am props has proven elusive.

The I put from LSP members has been absolutely brilliant. With a bit of luck I'll get 90% there and that will suit me. I am amazed the Revell skipped the Battle of Britain when deciding what versions to produce though.

that second pic, the gondola right in the middle (H-2 to H-4) is the one which is so frustratingly out of reach!

re props, have you contacted Revell for spare parts (sorry if you have and i missed that post)?

i couldn't see clearly in the pics you posted of your build - is your aircraft A1+BT?

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-343-0694-21,_Belg

note the really sloppy overspray on the wing formation marking - really sloppy work, and must have been the world's largest mask!

Edited by nmayhew