Dragon/ AIMS 1/32 Messerschmitt BF110 G-4 2Z+GB Stab 1./NJG6..........Finished!!

monthebiff

Getting the cannons to fit properly was quite a challenge on the 1/48th G-4s that I've built and I can't imagine it'll be any easier with this one! Sadly there is so little reference material out there about Schrage Muzik, trial and error is the only way to go it seems Andy!

Max

Think you are right there Max, trial and error all the way I am thinking!! 

Regards. Andy

Great work on the  rear cockpit Andy. Looks like the plexi is broke out of the frame where the barrels go. Looks like someone recently cut that back hole. What 110 is that?  :hmmm:

Dan

Hi Dan, I am pretty sure it is the Hendon machine, was there late last year and it was in pieces with no wings attached etc due to a major move around while they make major improvements to the museum. I think looking again that hole is original and the plexi is all intact but heavily crazed in area's which make it look like it is broken out!

Regards. Andy

2Z+GB has the holes as per Hendon aircraft so tray for Co2 bottle will need to be angled downwards I think in order for the weapon to be angled upwards more and thus further back to meet correct holes - see the file I emailed you

Had a bit of a look today John and agree with you that the Co2 tray needs angling down to get the barrels where they need to be.

Regards. Andy

That image is  feast of detail.  Red primer?  The MG 131's have been browned, not blued.  And look at that RLM 02 and 66.  Wish I knew more about the Schrage musik installation...  Or about any other WWII plane.

Good luck!

Gaz

Interesting pic I agrre Gaz, I think a lot of it is post war for preservasion purposes?

Regards. Andy

This is not a random hole - it is in identical position to many other SM installations where the machine has the smaller ammo box and the armour plate at the rear of the sill rather than just sat inside it as per the F/G-2 / early G-4. Machines with the canopy holes inside the curved framework obviously have the early set up, those with the holes near the C Stand (MG 81 Z position) obviously have the late set up as per Hendon example. Note that the holes are not round but elongated - they just look round at the angle because of the slant of the canopy

Interesting stuff John and been busy studying pictures today, hopefuuly I will get some bench time tomorrow to hava go at getting alignment sorted.

Regards. Andy

Andy

Fantastic progress progress and the detail work you have done: PE and vac canopy look amazing.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter, I have and am working very hard to add lots of extra detail to this build, hopefully I will do the excellent AIMS conversion some justice when complete!

Regards. Andy

Yes really good job with canopy - very clean looking

Thanks John, Your vac form canopies are pretty easy to cut out and work with as long as you treat them carefully with a new blade and take it slowly. I want to open up the rear hatch but first and formost I need to get the Schrage Musik barrel opening holes opened up and the I will see.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy

To add to the confusion.

Here is a late Me 110 G-4 (FuG 218) with square holes just forward of the frame. I managed to get a Falcon canopy and on first inspection it seems to be right for this Schrage Musik  installation.

G9_AA.jpg

Regards

Nick

Its a difficult one for sure Nick and thanks for the picture.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far. I am following a different route by first joining the fuselage and then building the detail on.

Nick

I assume you're talking about the structure and fittings above the top cockpit line here Nick? It's an interesting approach, not one that I'd considered and I'm not sure how workable it is, though as Andy said, some photos showing progress would be useful because, who knows, this may be the way to go! Knowledge is Power!

Max

Hi Andy and Max

I will post a picture tomorrow of the route I am following. The past month I have been using modeling time to get to know the Silouette cutter software, but should be back at the bench again this week. There are so many variations in the armament, I think I am fortunate in my build to have a photo(although not very clear) of the subject in question. I am using the E-2/Trop boxing.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

So, after much thought on how to go about the SM installtion and also with the added angle position change of the late installation coming to light which I did not realise initially I made a start on this area. I was wondering how I would do this to begin with but seeing the late installation had a much reduced angle I was very concerned as to if this would all fit. First up was to cut the holes in the vac canopy.

20180128_134302.jpg

Needs a bit more cleaning up but that will just fine for now. Also being a mixed media build I always try to drill and pin as much as I can so I dont end up with a model that goes ping and falls apart in awkward places when handing so the back of the MG FF's were driiled and pinned with the cockpit foor also drilled with a suitable hole ready for the MG's.

20180128_151123.jpg

20180128_150846.jpg

20180128_151029.jpg

Next up was to get the rear bulkhead's fitted and beefed up with some plastic stock for strength.

20180128_164948.jpg

Nothing pretty but I was looking for some strentgh with everything as square as I could get. With everything back inside the fuealage I was at this point with the first barrel fitted.

20180128_153357.jpg

All good sor far I added the secong MG barrell.

20180128_163936.jpg

And as I kind of expected it just does not fit at this angle. No problems if you are doing an earkiy SM instalation but no room doing the late version!

Any thoughts would be most helpful on this one. Also the height of the top of the barrel looks about right when I compare it to the picture Max kindly posted/

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

I like your approach Andy, it's looking promising.  Couple of questions:  firstly how did you cut the slots in the canopy, secondly the wire "pegs" you've put into the MGs to fix the base, does this give any range of movement to help the fit into the slots?

Max

I'm hoping so Max as I've thought long and hard about the aproach to this. In answer to your questions, with regards to cutting the holes in the canopy I a) used the image John sent over to me and B) held my breath and just went for it, especially on the second as it needed to be in keeping with the first slot I cut!

With regards to the holes I have drilled they do give some adjustment when algning up with the canopy slots.

Once again as per the upper cockpit assembly this will give a quite complex assembly to paint but a strong one at the end that will fit everything  else when together.....hopefully.

Currently I see the main issue as being the MG ammo bin getting in the way, if you are doing an early SM array then all is well. Also I see getting the co2 tray in place with this far more shallow angle as very difficult as it will be fouling the ammo bin again.

Regards. Andy