Dragon/ AIMS 1/32 Messerschmitt BF110 G-4 2Z+GB Stab 1./NJG6..........Finished!!

monthebiff

Really nice work so far mate!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, very much enjoying this conversion so far and the Dragon kit is really nice to work with, quite why they never released a G-4 non of us will never know!!

Regards. Andy

Some work on the rear cocpit bulkhead underway with some very fine etched pars to deal with here. an unused co2 bottle from the kit was mounted using plastc stock brackets, etched brackets are suppled in the conversion but I found it easier to make my own. A quick test fit with the cockpit floor

20180126_211535.jpg

Also decided at this point it was a good time to tackle the AIMS rear canopy replacement, this is supplied as a vac form piece with excellent clarity( or 2 shall I say as a spare is kindly supplied in case you make a few mistakes!). At the moment I am edging towards not opening up the rear hatch, not because I dont want to but I need to concebtrate getting the holes in the correct places for the Schrage Musik installation and that may use my two attempts I have with my available vac canopies.

20180126_195025.jpg

All good so far and happy with my first cuts but have had a bit of practice with vac canopies lately with my Ju-188 conversion! Fit seems pretty go how need tood but the main reason for getting this done now is I somehow need to work out exactly whre to open uo the holes for the upward firing guns. My main concern is there seems to be a couple of variations on to the position of these which would seem to alter the angle quite a bit, this is what I am getting at, first an early canopy with square holes foward of the curved framing.

AIMS_BF_110_G4_canopy_early.png

And a later example with round holes behind the curved framing.

28_3.jpg

I am building 2Z + GB with is a late example but I am not sure quite how I will be able to reduce the angle back so far and gets the guns into this very shallow firing angle? The more I look at this last picture the more it looks like it is a random hole as physically the gun looks like it just would not fit?

Any thoughts or extra information on this area would be greatfully recieved.

As ever thanks for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far. I am following a different route by first joining the fuselage and then building the detail on. I agree the hole in the last picture seems to be a random one. Do you have the SS reference? It shows the location of the holes in the Hendon example clearly.

Happy modeling

Nick

Getting the cannons to fit properly was quite a challenge on the 1/48th G-4s that I've built and I can't imagine it'll be any easier with this one! Sadly there is so little reference material out there about Schrage Muzik, trial and error is the only way to go it seems Andy!

Max

This is not a random hole - it is in identical position to many other SM installations where the machine has the smaller ammo box and the armour plate at the rear of the sill rather than just sat inside it as per the F/G-2 / early G-4. Machines with the canopy holes inside the curved framework obviously have the early set up, those with the holes near the C Stand (MG 81 Z position) obviously have the late set up as per Hendon example. Note that the holes are not round but elongated - they just look round at the angle because of the slant of the canopy

Edited by Pastor John

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far. I am following a different route by first joining the fuselage and then building the detail on. I agree the hole in the last picture seems to be a random one. Do you have the SS reference? It shows the location of the holes in the Hendon example clearly.

Happy modeling

Nick

Hi Nick, Which Dragon boxing are you using? Interesting route you are taking by closing the fuselage halves and then adding the detail, be interested to see some progress pics, Looking again I think the random hole is a late canopy but the camers angle is the problem here!

Regards. Andy