Looking for a Revell George and just realized Hasegawa/swallow makes o

oyoy5

Different versions of an aircraft with a similiar designation but definitely not the same airframe.  The N1K1-Ja (Revell-Takara) and the N1K2-Ja (Tomy/Swallow/et al.).  Hasegawa also makes an N1K2-J and is much, much better than any rendition of the Tomy/Swallow/et al. kit.  Hasegawa also has the broad (early) and narrow (late) chord tail versions.  Revell's kit is the only 1/32 version (to date) of the N1K1-Ja.

1670-1.jpg

2046-1.jpg

Broad Tail Hasegawa kit

has_08236_title.jpg

Narrow chord tail Hasegawa kit

Edited by Juggernut

As noted, they are two different aircraft. The Revell kit is the early mid-wing George, and is the only kit of this version. The Hasegawa is the later low wing version. If you just want any George and don't care, then go Hasegawa. If you want the mid wing version, you'll have to go Revell, which is why the old kit is so desirable.

The Revell George is also the less interesting kit of the three mythical Japanese fighters sold by Takara in Japan. Whereas the Tony and Raiden had beautifully engraved rivets and panel lines,the George had the classical surface treatment of the era... The attractivity of the kit only lies in the fact that nobody else released that specific mark. By the way the kit was also used to be converted into the Rex floatplane. A 3d printed (expensive) conversion with the floatplane cradle is available on Shapeways.

Thierry

There are a few on EBAY at the moment, 1976 vintage starting at $110 and up!  :mental: 

Dan

I wonder if these are a sample of the same 20 or so kits circulating around?

I am almost done with a years in the making Rex conversion. The kit is actually quite nice. Many features of the mid-wing are shared with late "George" version. One should be able to kit bash to upgrade the cockpit of the Revell kit for example. We do now however need a mid-wing George kit to straighten out the "market" and to reduce build time. Other other hand a Val would be better.

Rick

There are a few on EBAY at the moment, 1976 vintage starting at $110 and up!  :mental:

Dan 

That's what people are asking for them.  There's even a couple of guys wanting $200-$250.  An entirely different thing than what they actually sell for when sellers run auctions with a low starting bid.

I paid $63 + shipping for my Revell George on ebay.  I find the sell for less than $100.

By the way the kit was also used to be converted into the Rex floatplane. A 3d printed (expensive) conversion with the floatplane cradle is available on Shapeways.

Thierry

I wasn't aware of this.  Just looked it up.  Expensive, yes, but I'm interested.  Something to think about if I run into a little windfall in the hear future.

Thanks for the info.

I certainly agree with Ricks comments above. The Revell/Takara kit is not a state of the art kit by today's standards. The disclaimer bower it was produced in the 70's or 80's. I would also boldly state the kit hold up to the standards of some of the vintage Hasegawa kits of that era. I would also go on record mentioning this kit of ithis “vintage†also has a lot to offer. I purchased mine and built it back the 90's and tried to add several internal and external details to the kit without much information that we now have online today.

I think I paid $30 back in the late 90's and its all complete minus a crippled canopy which Rick kindly hooked me up with a new vacuformed copy. Thanks Rick! Perhaps the only mid-wing George in town however, it builds up to be a spectacular mid-wing George with a little time, research and patience. Don't knock it if you haven't actually had a good look inside the box. Check out several awesome builds here on LSP.

My two cents here..

Troy

If you can find a legit kit for $30 today, I'd say grab it and run!  Recent Ebay sales average around $70 and that's gone way down from the last time I looked at the selling prices.  The asking prices however are entirely different.  I saw one listed for $250.

The narrow chord tail N1K2-J is seeing asking prices over $100 now, why I don't know but can guess it's because it's a one-off "limited issue" kit with the narrow tail.  Completed Ebay listings show these selling in the $40-50 range.  The fat tail Shidenkai is available by the truck loads....

Edited by Juggernut