1/32 Revell (new tool) P-51D-5 Mustang

mattlow

I start this build log with a little trepidation as it often spells the kiss of death for my builds (as many of you here know.. :)).

However, I feel that i have enough 'head of steam' already to see it through. I bought this just after Christmas for £29, knowing it was designed by Radu Brinzan who has a great track record in designing excellent 1/32 kits - from his resin Arado 234B (sold by MDC) to his most recent (excepting this Mustang) Revell Me 262B-1a/U1 night fighter.

When the kit arrived, I dived straight in and forgot to take any photos of the initial stages. So what you see here is where I am at now after about five days worth of building.

39522781641_c640aa8d8c_o.jpgP-51D-5 14 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Fuselage halves with separate tail section to accommodate future 'filleted tail' versions. These go together very well and are further strengthened by the large internal part which consists of radiator ducting back to the tail wheel well. Everything fits very tightly (maybe not as tightly as WNW - but that's no bad thing in my book). The cockpit is designed to be assembled as a self-contained module (like in the Revell 1/32 Spitfires) but I wanted to work with sidewalls attached to fuselage halves. This is fine and doesn't appear t have cased any issues down the line. A closer view or two.....

39522780511_16508c3808_o.jpgP-51D-5 15 by Matt Low, on Flickr

39522779401_a9931bb083_o.jpgP-51D-5 16 by Matt Low, on Flickr

and finally...

39522778601_65d5f066e3_o.jpgP-51D-5 17 by Matt Low, on Flickr

All OOB so far, except the lightening holes in the seat support structure (from which I've also removed the moulded on cold air ventilation hoses (more on them later) Plenty of details and detail painting to go.

Matt

I have to say I am not going for an uber detailed build. I want to do the 'pit justice but keep progress steady. Also apologies for some of the shots showing lots of randomly spayed/splurged/spattered black primer in areas that'll be hidden upon assembly. I had a hell of a time with black Stynylrez and I used hidden areas to test the flow each time I cleaned the needle...

Here's the IP with two decals applied as provided by Revell. Not individually punched out, used lots of Mr Decal Destroyer to get it to sit down nicely. Again, lots of painted details to add here. The decals are designed by Barracuda but unfortunately (and not surprisingly) don't provide the degree of cockpit placards and labelling that Barracuda's own set does.

39522782551_7bf7c6b68b_o.jpgP-51D-5 13 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Note this is an instrument layout specific to the D-5 variant.

The wing. This is provided as full span upper and lower parts. Wheel bay has the correct spar arrangement and features very nice rib and structural detail. One approach that these latest Revell 1/32 kits seem to have adopted is the habit of not trying to depict wiring looms and pipes as moulded on detail. This makes our lives easier if we wish to add it (as the moulded on stuff doesn't have to be removed).

39492556422_785d1eb7a2_o.jpgP-51D-5 18 by Matt Low, on Flickr

39522776611_c41b754fef_o.jpgP-51D-5 19 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Bays need all their YZC painted, leaving just the aluminium skin unpainted. Apparently early Mustangs didn't recieve the general 'hosing' of interior surfaces with YZC and/or GZC.

Here's an overview of the wing from below (must take some photos of the upper surface), showing the separate flaps and ailerons. Also note the way that the leading edge containing the wing guns is separate piece, incorporating the inner forward lower wing surface. This allows guns to be nicely (and correctly) moulded without pesky seams to worry about. Two sets of landing flaps are provided, one for raised the other for... you guessed it... lowered.

24654882417_f4b21388f6_o.jpgP-51D-5 21 by Matt Low, on Flickr

24654880887_a41acf722a_o.jpgP-51D-5 22 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Glued a bit of wine bottle foil to inner wing (after thinning a bit) and used a tool with rounded end to create the reflectors for the ID lights.

39522786301_776ca412d4_o.jpgP-51D-5 20 by Matt Low, on Flickr

Finally, I took a photo of the faces of the different radiator matrices. Used black base and a light grey wash to give them a heat stained effect - looks better than silver with black wash for the Mustang's radiators.

24654879507_f168c3ddcb_o.jpgP-51D-5 23 by Matt Low, on Flickr

As you can see there's a lot going on inside the fuselage and the wing fuselage junction is quite complex, what with the radiator scoop. I wanted to see how well this all fitted together as early as possible to ensure I took any measures required to thin/adjust parts.

Having cleaned all seams, removed mould parting lines etc, I can say the whole lot comes together with a very satisfying 'click' and was solid - taking some effort to take back apart. The only thing I'm dreading is getting a decent unpainted aluminium finish on the fuselage.... 

I have two schemes in mind at the moment. First is 'The COMET' Nice full set of D-Day stripes and a quite refined nose art...

38816538994_d265c2472c_c.jpgThe COMET by Matt Low, on Flickr

Second is 'Pendaja' / 'Miss Ruth'... you've got to love that yellow tail...

38816549754_f887275c76_c.jpgMissRuth1 by Matt Low, on Flickr

That's a way off though.. default_smile.png

More soon.

Matt

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Terrific start on revell's Mustang. I waiting for the Revell;'s kit to work it;'s way across the pond and then it's time to buy a few ... I'm already looking at decals and hoping foe of the AM guys will have some goodies for the early version.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I'm sure Eduard will festoon this kit with extras, just as they have with the Airfix 1/48 kit.

I'll go out on a bit of a limb here and say that I reckon it is close to Tamiya in detail (where it is detailed - i.e. no engine of course). It's certainly a thoroughbred D-5, rather than the slight mish-mash of features found on the Tamiya kit.

The fit is pretty good, but I'm not sure if it is Tamiya good - you'll have to judge that as I progress. Sometimes I get the impression that Revell's injection moulding doesn't use enough pressure to do the moulds justice - if you see what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments.

Matt

Eduard already has released detail sets for the new Revell kit. Have the Zoom interior, seat belts, and mask on the way from Sprue Brothers. I was to just about to start detail painting the cockpit when they popped up at SB, and decided to wait until I got the PE. Mainly interested in the prepainted IP.